Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAceOfAces

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
I don't know if it's because the phone was a little hot during initial setup and the heat caused something from the leather case to rub on the sides when I took out the phone, but I noticed some black stains/marks on the stainless steel around the phone. Has anyone else had this issue with their black Apple leather case or any other color for that matter? FWIW the stains seem to be wipe-able but this is still kind of a pain to clean.

Basically, it's the dye from the leather of the case smudging onto the stainless steel sides.

Haven't had this problem with any previous iPhones either.

Last edited:

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
It’ll go away after break in.

Also,

If you use a simple slip on case daily, you should remove it everyday anyways or every other day at least and wipe the phones bezels and inside the case as well or you’ll end up with a dirt sand which between your phone sanding away at that nice finish.

I am using the Apple clear case and my phone is in and out of my pocket throughout the day probably a hundred times. It amazes me what gets trapped after just a day of use.

TheAceOfAces

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
I never had this issue with Apple leather cases.

Same, and that's what surprised me this time. Either the phone was just so hot that it started taking dye off the leather, or I just got a lemon/low quality case? The stains were kinda smudged all over the stainless steel around the phone, and when I tried rubbing them off it just got worse. It was purchased directly from Apple, unfortunately beyond the return period now so I can't take it back.

If you use a simple slip on case daily, you should remove it everyday anyways or every other day at least and wipe the phones bezels and inside the case as well or you’ll end up with a dirt sand which between your phone sanding away at that nice finish.

I am using the Apple clear case and my phone is in and out of my pocket throughout the day probably a hundred times. It amazes me what gets trapped after just a day of use.

Good advice. At this point I'm considering getting an Apple Silicon case or a Apple Clear Case instead so that I don't have to deal with this staining issue when/if the phone gets hot in the future. How do you like the Clear Case?

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Same, and that's what surprised me this time. Either the phone was just so hot that it started taking dye off the leather, or I just got a lemon/low quality case? The stains were kinda smudged all over the stainless steel around the phone, and when I tried rubbing them off it just got worse. It was purchased directly from Apple, unfortunately beyond the return period now so I can't take it back.

If you’re referring to the case that’s beyond the return period, it still has a one year warranty and that defect definitely qualifies for a replacement. They’ll literally swap out the case for you right there, I’ve done it a few times. Don’t ask me why I’ve done it a few times lol.

Reactions: TheAceOfAces

TheAceOfAces

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
If you’re referring to the case that’s beyond the return period, it still has a one year warranty and that defect definitely qualifies for a replacement. They’ll literally swap out the case for you right there, I’ve done it a few times. Don’t ask me why I’ve done it a few times lol.

Yeah, the case! Alright will definitely try to get that swapped out. But still kinda scared of ending up with the same effect so might just buy a clear case to use as well lol.

Reactions: BoricuaHec01

frozenh2o

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Hi! I just took my phone out of my clear spigen case and noticed the colour leeching into the clear case. Anyone has this issue?
EFFBC07D-4FC0-416B-BBD7-7242D1321F6C.jpeg

frozenh2o

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Are you sure this isn’t transfer from your pants pocket?
Oh man. I didn’t think of that. Now that you mentioned it, it’s a high possibility from my jeans. I didn’t notice any discolouring on the stainless steel itself.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Oh man. I didn’t think of that. Now that you mentioned it, it’s a high possibility from my jeans. I didn’t notice any discolouring on the stainless steel itself.
Yeah I only thought of that because a friend of mine had the same issue with their clear case lol

frozenh2o

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Yeah I only thought of that because a friend of mine had the same issue with their clear case lol
I was still so worried that the colour was transferring out and I was thinking Apple’s products aren’t usually such poor quality. But seeing the clear case get tinted Greenish boy and using the midnight green version got the better of me.

Reactions: Ta0jin

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I was still so worried that the colour was transferring out and I was thinking Apple’s products aren’t usually such poor quality. But seeing the clear case get tinted Greenish boy and using the midnight green version got the better of me.
Totally understand, I’d have had a WTH moment too lol

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Hi! I just took my phone out of my clear spigen case and noticed the colour leeching into the clear case. Anyone has this issue? View attachment 869290

Something is off with the Spigen clear cases this year. I ordered two Liquid Crystal Glitter cases - one direct and one from Amazon and both were never “crystal clear”. One looked like it had already started to yellow before it had been used. I sent that one back and used the clearer looking case. Then a few days later, I noticed the back top edge of my of phone looked off, like it had dulled to yellow, like the case. Faint, but enough for me to say, ummmm, WTF is this??? I have a Silver 11 Pro Max. I panicked, but it was something I could wipe away thankfully.

The Spigen case was the first case I used when I received the phone, so it was subjected to the initial heat from setup. Still, I never thought I would see what looked like a transfer onto my phone. First time that happened to me, and I usually will own at minimum 10 various cases by the the time I am on to the next iPhone upgrade, but still defective cases exist.

I am using a few different clear cases by other brands and no issues from any of them. Try a different brand and report back.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Spigen cases are rubbish. The clear cases yellow within a few weeks. The quality just isn't there any more. I would never buy another Spigen case - they look nice new, but age very badly.

frozenh2o

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I’ve always used a spigen cause I trust their case to keep my phone safe from accidental drops which they have done so very well on the rare occasion I have dropped it.
But you’re both right about the recent batches. I’ve had clear cases from them before and no colour would leech on from my jeans. Yellowing would only occur after some time, approx a year and a half or more with age. That’s why this time around I was taken aback that just a couple of days and there is some staining/discolouring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.