Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
After several months with a D40, and an increasing desire to do more than my D40 could give me (action shots, like football and other sports), I decided to take the plunge and get a D300. I got it for about $1330 from Cameta, which many of you probably know of. It won't arrive until probably next week, but I'm excited about it. It's obviously a big investment, but after struggling along (in a manner of speaking) without being able to use a wide range of lenses, it will be great to have more freedom and be able to do much more with my camera.

I also picked up a monopod today for use with my sports photography.

Any advice or thoughts on the D300?

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Congrats on the new camera! I have been very happy with my D300 and when my father saw my pictures he also bought one for himself (He had a D100 that he was using). It you going to shoot lots of fast action I would make sure you get a fast lens.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Congrats on the new camera! I have been very happy with my D300 and when my father saw my pictures he also bought one for himself (He had a D100 that he was using). It you going to shoot lots of fast action I would make sure you get a fast lens.

I just got a used 80-200mm 2.8 AF today off eBay (great feedback, etc.), so I'm hopeful about that. It was about $450, when it runs for double or even triple that in some places.

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I just got a used 80-200mm 2.8 AF today off eBay (great feedback, etc.), so I'm hopeful about that. It was about $450, when it runs for double or even triple that in some places.

Sounds like a great deal. Should get some nice pictures with that setup.

Scott982

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Austin, Tx
I upgraded to the d300 from a d80 last week. I love the d300, paired with the 70-200mm 2.8 VR this camera is perfect for the fast moving motorcycles that I shoot. The controls are so easy and quick to change since you don't have to go into the menu.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Cool! Have fun with it. With that camera and that lens, at first it's probably going to feel like you're carrying an anvil around (compared to your previous kit). But you'll get used to it... :D

I've no doubts of that. The camera itself is reassuringly solid, as I've held it before. But, the lens is a different story.

The 70-200 2.8 is way out of my price range, especially given my other buys, so I'm just hoping the 80-200mm works out well enough :).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The 70-200 2.8 is way out of my price range, especially given my other buys, so I'm just hoping the 80-200mm works out well enough :).
Yes, everything above the last push-pull zoom works just fine -- especially the AF-S version, the immediate predecessor of the 70-200. Keep in mind that glass-wise, the current 80-200 (which sells for about $900) is essentially identical to the first push-pull zoom. From own experience (I have the last push-pull zoom version with AF-D), this is not necessarily a bad think ;) :)

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Yes, everything above the last push-pull zoom works just fine -- especially the AF-S version, the immediate predecessor of the 70-200. Keep in mind that glass-wise, the current 80-200 (which sells for about $900) is essentially identical to the first push-pull zoom. From own experience (I have the last push-pull zoom version with AF-D), this is not necessarily a bad think ;) :)

I'll have the 1986 version. Is that still a good one in your eyes?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Glass-wise, yeah (although the next version is supposed to be much better), but it doesn't AF. You definitely want an AF, the depth of field can be razor thin (literally 2-4 cm!). If you need a decent AF, you don't want any of the push-pull versions, although they are acceptable. I also recommend you have a look at Tokina's 2.8/50-135: it weighs half, is sturdily built and is much more versatile (closer minimum focussing distance, focusses very fast and better suited for portraits).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

All of Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 lenses are very good optically. Back in the 80's Nikon was still FAR out ahead of everyone else in terms of quality.

But the lenses made before 1988 were manual focus. Manual focus lenses will work with the D300 but the D300 is not nearly as good as were older manual cameras to use with MF lenses. The old cameras had better view finders and optical focus aids like a split prism or microprism rings in the view finder screen. All of the modern digital camera lack these focus aids but they do have a little green dot that lights up. The green dot is not as easy nor as fast to use.

I have three film bodies, one of then an F2 and the F2 is by far the best camera to use with manual focus lenses. I can focus very fast with my F2 but the same lens on my D50 or my N90 is harder to use.

For $450 you could have gotten an "ED AF" version that would automatically focus using your camera's in-body focus motor. The even newer two ring AF zooms typically sell used for about $650 and the brand new ones are $915 at B&H.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
If you're shooting sports I would say the MB-D10 grip is a must, especially if you add in the 8 AA batteries, pushing you to 8fps...as long as you have a decent speed CF card. Great choice on the lens, I use about the same since I can borrow the 70-200 from my school for free :]
Good luck!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
All of Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 lenses are very good optically. Back in the 80's Nikon was still FAR out ahead of everyone else in terms of quality.

But the lenses made before 1988 were manual focus. Manual focus lenses will work with the D300 but the D300 is not nearly as good as were older manual cameras to use with MF lenses. The old cameras had better view finders and optical focus aids like a split prism or microprism rings in the view finder screen. All of the modern digital camera lack these focus aids but they do have a little green dot that lights up. The green dot is not as easy nor as fast to use.

I have three film bodies, one of then an F2 and the F2 is by far the best camera to use with manual focus lenses. I can focus very fast with my F2 but the same lens on my D50 or my N90 is harder to use.

For $450 you could have gotten an "ED AF" version that would automatically focus using your camera's in-body focus motor. The even newer two ring AF zooms typically sell used for about $650 and the brand new ones are $915 at B&H.

I think you're confusing the two. The one I've gotten and the one you describe are the same (meaning the ED AF one). The 1986 number/label is just the product number in the catalog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.