Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Hi All,
I apologize for not getting this topic up much sooner. I have had some life issues to resolve and as a result I have not been able to be online much in the last week. We need to pick a new topic for the next fortnightly challenge. The dictionary.com word of the day is "Bibelot" -- which means "a trinket". Is there any interest in using bibelot as a topic? Also does anyone think any change are needed to the rules after adding editing to the challenge?

John

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
So editing is here to stay, eh? That will dissuade me from offering up photos, but I'll still be happy to comment on the proceedings and even to edit photos. If the editing aspect of the challenge has great appeal, and I gather it does, then it's the way to go. I wouldn't advocate doing anything that would lessen the appeal of the challenge thread.

As for the topic "bibelot": why not? The challenge is meant to be challenging, right?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
So editing is here to stay, eh? That will dissuade me from offering up photos, but I'll still be happy to comment on the proceedings and even to edit photos. If the editing aspect of the challenge has great appeal, and I gather it does, then it's the way to go. I wouldn't advocate doing anything that would lessen the appeal of the challenge thread.

I think this is, in fact, not correct. The discussion over the last couple of days was pretty clear. While some of us like the editing element (myself included) there was also a feeling that this is not doable. This is partially because it distracts from the original concept of this forum and we want to keep that concept intact. The other part is that too many people said they would opt out of participating. I would never want anyone to opt out that way.

As I read those discussions, we need to remove the "Important Note:..." section, give up the editing component, and return to the original concept.

As for the topic......... trinkets are a good thing.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
+1 for Bruce. If either you (Bruce) or Simon want to trade files for PhotoShop stuff do that with email. I have Simon's address and would be glad to trade you mine. Just PM me or look at my Flickr link from the Challenge page. I will be glad to help anyone with editing off-forum.

As for the Challenge topic, Bibelot works for me. I like two topics to shoot, so how about adding Soft?

If you are interested in source files and tutorials for PS, look at this site. It used to be called PhotoShop Talent. The products of the imagination are quite amazing.

PXLeyes

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I'm for stopping the PS side of things - it seemed like a good idea in the beginning but it got messy.

Therefore, I think we should go back to the original concept and just have a theme.

I won't comment on the theme because I'm off to the UK on Sunday and my Mac is in for repair very very soon after that and I will not be carrying my SLR.

No Mac - no Camera :(:mad::eek::(:eek::mad:

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I have to say I completely agree with dropping the editing component from the challenge. Since there seems to be no objection to Bibelot we will go with that as our new topic. Just for you Dale, I will add Soft as an and/or topic.

Edit: Chappers, are you leaving us for good?

John

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I have to say I completely agree with dropping the editing component from the challenge. Since there seems to be no objection to Bibelot we will go with that as our new topic. Just for you Dale, I will add Soft as an and/or topic.

Edit: Chappers, are you leaving us for good?

John

No - I'll be around - just minus my Mac for a while and no camera for sometime. Luckily I know a nice university that will let me borrow toys so I can have a presence online. I just won't be posting much - also I have to study big time - which will also limit me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.