Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I appears to be that time to pick a topic for our next fortnightly challenge. Several people have expressed interest in have an editing "photoshopping" challenge so I've spend some time thinking about how we could do that and have our main vision continue.

The idea I can up with is to continue having a two-week theme but asking people to post both the original and their PSed version. I would also like to ask people who perform photoshop manipulations to share their process with us. However, if people do not want others playing with their images they would be asked not to post the original. As far as copyright issues go, copyright and all derivative works should remain the property of the person who took the photo.

I think this idea allows us to continue taking images and receiving constructive criticism but also allows the potential for us to learn PS techniques from each other. If this idea makes it out of the starting gate, we will still need a topic, so post away...

John

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Oh Boy! A new game to play!!!

There are two basic ways to PhotoShop an image. One is to enhance it to make it work better in a photographic context, and the other is to push the limits of creativity and turn it into art. This is one of the best things to do with a bad photo. Stylize it.

Photos we have had trouble with in Post work well for the correction approach and abstract images work well for art. I turned one of MikeSchmees smoke photos in POTD into an interesting desktop.
Maybe we could specify whether we want the image to be corrected or tricked out.

Another thing is to post B&W photos for others to colorize. Just fixing messed up photos could work, too. Scans with dust, scratches and such.

Maybe call it the Fortnight PotoLab....Shopnight PhotoFort...:cool:

For a plain old photo shoot, I have had two topics on my mind. One is "Moving Pictures" and the other is "Soft".

:D :eek: Don't I just make everything so simple? :eek: :D

Dale

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Hey cool idea.

I am pretty new to this forum, so maybe you guys have done this recently.

My idea for a theme would be ... Mechanical Art

Obviously, the "Art" part lending itself well for the PS info.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
My original thought was : Members enter original photos that have not been adjusted and see what others could or would do - I didn't think we should add our own versions of changes until maybe later after other posters had had go.

We could call it "Adjust the Unadjusted" - but we should explain what we've done.

I'm OK with having a theme but don't feel it is totally necessary only because it might limit the potential and range of work on the adjustment side of things.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Chappers -- I'm afraid you could limit entries if you don't allow people to post their PS work and/or ask that people not edit their images. It is a slippery slope to tread on, I'm even not sure I like the idea of people taking any image I post and editing them, some images I might, others not. Which is why I want to run this as a normal challenge with a side twist (completely opt-in). So we still need a shooting topic... what about "warmblooded".

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chappers -- I'm afraid you could limit entries if you don't allow people to post their PS work and/or ask that people not edit their images. It is a slippery slope to tread on, I'm even not sure I like the idea of people taking any image I post and editing them, some images I might, others not. Which is why I want to run this as a normal challenge with a side twist (completely opt-in). So we still need a shooting topic... what about "warmblooded".

I'm feeling like this is getting way too complicated. I think it is okay that a concept be the theme. I agree with John that we should not limit folks only to the original. There is a lot to learn from the ways people process their own work. Maxx is a great example of this. I don't think I want folks manipulating most of my pictures but I am okay with quite a few. I'm just not going to post the ones I want to be left alone. I think that once folks see this is a positive exercise they will post more. I do think we will have to post a reminder every couple of days to the effect that the original owner of the image retains all rights to the image including the variations that others processed.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm feeling like this is getting way too complicated. I think it is okay that a concept be the theme. I agree with John that we should not limit folks only to the original. There is a lot to learn from the ways people process their own work. Maxx is a great example of this. I don't think I want folks manipulating most of my pictures but I am okay with quite a few. I'm just not going to post the ones I want to be left alone. I think that once folks see this is a positive exercise they will post more. I do think we will have to post a reminder every couple of days to the effect that the original owner of the image retains all rights to the image including the variations that others processed.

I'm beginning to think this would be difficult to manage without continually asking to PS the images of others. No one really reads the rule page of any thread, and new folks might be put off seeing us mess with their pics. I think we do too much of that as it. I want to encourage as many other peeps to join in as possible. I don't want the thread to become a "club".

Since PhotoShop is usually discouraged in most of the photo threads, why don't we just encourage folks to post their PhotoShop versions of their work. Then we step on no toes.

Topic: Warmblooded or Mechanical (double topic) PhotoShop Welcome ???

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I'm beginning to think this would be difficult to manage without continually asking to PS the images of others. No one really reads the rule page of any thread, and new folks might be put off seeing us mess with their pics. I think we do too much of that as it. I want to encourage as many other peeps to join in as possible. I don't want the thread to become a "club".

Since PhotoShop is usually discouraged in most of the photo threads, why don't we just encourage folks to post their PhotoShop versions of their work. Then we step on no toes.

Topic: Warmblooded or Mechanical (double topic) PhotoShop Welcome ???

Dale

And perhaps some of us might request our images be PSed by others. I actually shot a couple of images that pretty much suck by themselves but that might do well in PP.

I think we might go back to some of the other fora and invite people to join us. I just would not want anyone to get angry because we are advertising another forum.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
OK - Why don't we choose a theme for the challenge and open up so if you'd like PP work done on the picture then you can ask.

I'm happy with any theme.

Maybe we can all add this thread to our signatures - seems a fair advert.

A good title to describe the idea and the theme would be a good idea. Ideas? (which is a lot of ideas)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
OK - Why don't we choose a theme for the challenge and open up so if you'd like PP work done on the picture then you can ask.

I'm happy with any theme.

Maybe we can all add this thread to our signatures - seems a fair advert.

A good title to describe the idea and the theme would be a good idea. Ideas?

I agree. I think "mechanical" or "art out of objects" certainly overlap. At this point I think that John should choose so we can get going.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I'll post a new challenge in the morning with some explanations too. It is just to late tonight for me to think straight.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.