Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Hi All,

We need to come up with a topic for our next fortnightly challenge (dates above). If you have an idea, please post below.

John

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I like Long/Short Exposures. However this is not a formal statement that the next topic is going to be said topic, I just like the idea.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
By time-lapse do you mean multiple shots over a period of time (that cinematic flower opening at dawn thing) or long exposures?

Dale

Like the first.

Here is one I did in winter.

Not very impressive by any means. You get the best experience by watching it in 720p or 1080p fullscreen.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Like the first.

Here is one I did in winter.

Not very impressive by any means. You get the best experience by watching it in 720p or 1080p fullscreen.

Video would not be compatible with the mission of this thread, which is to improve photography skills. Most of us don't have the equipment required to shoot scenes like your post on YouTube, either.

The Admins have grouped us all together under Digital Media, but Design and Graphics, Digital Photography and Digital Video still serve different audiences.

Your time-lapse is cool, but I can't view or comment on it within this thread.

How about a prime lens challenge? I haven't seen one of those.

Sounds good. My prime lens is the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro L...

We did 50mm a few weeks ago. It was a good one, but folks with zooms had trouble hitting the focal length just right.

Dale

I'm not trying to spoil the party, I'm just doing my job as Cat Herder.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I saw the thread Dale put up regarding prime lens length. I am concerned that not everyone is going to have the same lens and therefore be excluded from a two-week challenge. If we choose to do something along the lines of a Prime Lens challenge, I think it should be "Shoot with a Prime" or something to that variety, but not a specific length like the past 50mm challenge.

John

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Not sure if this would be too difficult, but it might be a bit of fun:

Sunny 16

From the old sunny 16 rule- the criteria would be to shoot a sunny scene at f/16. Maybe it could be loosened to something like "f/16 or a sunny scene", or even just "outdoors and f/16" or even just "f/16".

For us northern hemisphere dwellers, the sunny part would mesh well with summer :)

Ruahrc

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I saw the thread Dale put up regarding prime lens length. I am concerned that not everyone is going to have the same lens and therefore be excluded from a two-week challenge. If we choose to do something along the lines of a Prime Lens challenge, I think it should be "Shoot with a Prime" or something to that variety, but not a specific length like the past 50mm challenge.

John

My thought as well. I am just gathering information as to what lenses folks who participate have. I'm more interested in satisfying my curiosity than setting a topic. More fixed focal length topics were mentioned when we discussed the Golden Hour/50mm challenge. I used the Challenge as a title without giving it too much thought. My bad...

Dale

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Not sure if this would be too difficult, but it might be a bit of fun:

Sunny 16

From the old sunny 16 rule- the criteria would be to shoot a sunny scene at f/16. Maybe it could be loosened to something like "f/16 or a sunny scene", or even just "outdoors and f/16" or even just "f/16".

For us northern hemisphere dwellers, the sunny part would mesh well with summer :)

Ruahrc

This is interesting. Reminds me of Edward Weston and "Group f/64". If we wanted we could even push it a bit farther and have an "f/22" theme - specifically looking for super-sharp images of found scenes.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I like the selective focus idea. It lends itself to creative shooting with prime lenses, without excluding participation if you only have a zoom - you might just have to be even more creative.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The next Challenge starts Sunday Minnesota time, so we need to wrap this up and come to a consensus. The topics submitted so far are as follows. The + indicates a second vote.

Selective Focus +

Long/Short Exposures

Soft/Hard

Toys

Colorful

Prime Lens

Time Lapse

Sunny 16 +

John and I have chosen to reserve our votes. We like power...:D...

Indicate your preference if you haven't already. New suggestions are welcome.

Dale :cool:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I've been absent for so long now that I didn't want to jump in yet. What I'm hung up on is that most of the list reflects technique and technical aspects of what we do rather than topics. That's an approach that just does not work for me. I like hard/soft or colorful.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I've been absent for so long now that I didn't want to jump in yet. What I'm hung up on is that most of the list reflects technique and technical aspects of what we do rather than topics. That's an approach that just does not work for me. I like hard/soft or colorful.

Hi, Bruce.

Way back in the stone age we started this thread with the idea of improving photography skills. Part of that is limiting ourselves to something specific like using long or short exposures. The subject matter of the photos is open to individual interpretation. That's what makes this a Challenge instead of a Contest.

Dale

EDIT: Note to all. John and I are a bit behind ourselves in getting the next one going. If it's not up by Monday evening, I'll get it posted.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
The new challenge is posted. Thanks for waiting everyone, with the lack of votes in this thread, Dale and I made an executive decision on the topic this morning. Hopefully, next week everyone will be able to give more input on the topic. I think the holiday weekend (USA and UK) contributed to the lack of input. I hope you like the new topic, you can find it here.

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.