Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Hi All,
It is clearly time to pick a new topic for our next fortnightly challenge which runs Oct 9 - Oct 22. If you want to make a suggestion for a topic please do so. The Word of the Day for today is foofaraw which means "Excessive or flashy ornamentation or decoration", and "a fuss over a matter of little importance." I addition to the word of the day idea, I would like to throw out "nocturnal" as a suggestion.

John

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have two suggestions. The first is seasonal and is Orange.

The other is High Key/Low Key (one or the other). A high key photo is dominated by light tones, while a low key one is mostly dark.

Excuse me for having fun :: :D

Dale

Note; Perhaps the Challenge could be rounded off so that two fit neatly in one month. First to 15th and 16th to month end.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Note; Perhaps the Challenge could be rounded off so that two fit neatly in one month. First to 15th and 16th to month end.

I'm happy to go with all suggestions that I've heard so far but if you want a quick swap over then that will involve a discussion/vote sometime before the start date or going with the word of the day idea.

I like the randomness of the "word of the day" - also there is a house I really want to photograph that fits this theme. I'm not sure I'll be able to to it but I've always wanted to try.

However as John always kindly sets up this thread and it was his idea - I am very happy to go with Nocturnal.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have two suggestions. The first is seasonal and is Orange.

The other is High Key/Low Key (one or the other). A high key photo is dominated by light tones, while a low key one is mostly dark.

Excuse me for having fun :: :D

Dale

I like the High key/low key idea. 2 photos for the contest which is split into 1 week each.
But the details would have to be clearer, how its judged (as a pair or individual) and stuff.
I reckon some interesting minimal photos will emerge :)

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Perhaps the Challenge could be rounded off so that two fit neatly in one month. First to 15th and 16th to month end.

This might make sense. I don't think we have to have any discussion about it. It might make it easier to track when we open discussion about the new topic. I say we leave this to John.

I like the High key/low key idea. 2 photos for the contest which is split into 1 week each.
But the details would have to be clearer, how its judged (as a pair or individual) and stuff.
I reckon some interesting minimal photos will emerge :)

This is not a contest. It is a C&C forum. "Challenge" refers to the challenge of producing good work based on the topic. The rules are very broad to encourage a lot of images and good discussion.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

Sacrilege. Next you'll be wanting to change a furlong so five of them fit neatly into a kilometer. Then what happens to furlongs per fortnight as a unit of velocity? And seven-league boots will have to be resized to some irrational number. The reasons for such a change, I cannot fathom, er, I mean 1.8288-metre.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Sacrilege. Next you'll be wanting to change a furlong so five of them fit neatly into a kilometer. Then what happens to furlongs per fortnight as a unit of velocity? And seven-league boots will have to be resized to some irrational number. The reasons for such a change, I cannot fathom, er, I mean 1.8288-metre.

Being an engineering major, I found that to be hilarious. On a serious note, I have no problem with running the challenge in two blocks per month except that some months will have challenges longer than others and still some will have an even numbered challenge and an odd numbered challenge (number of days). I personally think it is easier to run 14-day challenges than random ones. Please feel free to disagree.

BTW, I should post the new thread in the morning so what does everyone want, just throw out the idea from everything list above that you like the best.

John

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I lost my internet connection for a while, but it gave me some quiet time to think about fortnights, furlongs, fathoms, and other such foofaraw. The common theme is they are words that used to be common but are now essentially obsolete except in specialized domains. They're "buggy whips". And that's my suggestion for a topic.

The possible subjects are legion. One could also approach it as a style, such as the stiffly posed portraits of yesteryear, or the distinctive visual effect of a daguerrotype or rotogravure.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

You split my gut with this!! I make one silly suggestion and I get all this humor for it. Thanks (honest).

And yes, as others have commented, fortnight and move on is much more simple. I tend to be exacting..

John runs the show, and I thank him for setting this thread up. I have been taking more pictures with more purpose since this got up and running.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
We seem to be running short on time with no real common ground other than that I'm a nutter.

I second Word of the Day with Nocturnal as an optional second topic because it may be hard to shoot as a sole topic.

Dale

Edit: Maybe the next topic could be Splitting Hairs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.