Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
I'm trying to decide between the new iPad (9th generation) and the new iPad mini 6. On the one hand the regular iPad is slightly cheaper and is better to use as a "couch" device. On the other hand the iPad mini is better as an e-book reader in bed. My time will be split between the two.

Is there anyone who owns both a 10-11 inch iPad and the iPad mini? If you could have only one which would you prefer?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm trying to decide between the new iPad (9th generation) and the new iPad mini 6. On the one hand the regular iPad is slightly cheaper and is better to use as a "couch" device. On the other hand the iPad mini is better as an e-book reader in bed. My time will be split between the two.
Considering neither of these devices have been released (or even announced) and we know nothing about the specifications or when (or even if) they will be released, I would recommend waiting. :)

That said, practically anything I would do on a mini can be handled almost as well by my phone, so I would choose 10" or larger. I cannot recall ever wishing my iPad was smaller, lighter or less bulky.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I need to echo the above, there is no use being ‘torn’ between two devices where we don’t know their availability or specs yet.

However I think the difference in screen size is going to be noticeable. Once the devices are out, I’d recommend you go to an Apple or other technology store and look at the screen sizes. Many think the mini is ‘too small’, but others love that mini size. It depends on what you like.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Buy both, test them at home, return the one that’s less exciting.

Not released yet? In that case wait for a release, then repeat step 1.

Reactions: LibbyLA

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Unfortunately that’s not an option in my country.
To help us help you, please provide a bit more detail about any previous experience you have with tablets and what ways you think you'll be using this new device. I have a lot of experience with owning and using multiple iPads and tablets simultaneously and I can share my experiences, but knowing more detail about your needs/wants is helpful.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

vagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
My most recent was the 8th generation ipad (which I gifted to my parents and they broke it). Before that I had the Air 2 (also broke).

Great experience both but quite heavy in bed. I was wondering if the mini will be a better overall performer.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
My speculation is that the iPad 9 will basically be a repackaged iPad Air 3 (which itself was kinda a repackaged iPad Pro 10.5) with a better processor, but possibly with a non-laminated screen so a tad thicker. The iPad mini 6 will be a new small form factor based on the iPad Air 4. The big unknown is the size of the screen. IMO it will be disappointing if it ends up "only" being 8.3". IF that is the case I think the iPad 9 would be the better device as your only iPad device.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My most recent was the 8th generation ipad (which I gifted to my parents and they broke it). Before that I had the Air 2 (also broke).

Great experience both but quite heavy in bed. I was wondering if the mini will be a better overall performer.
Ah, that's helpful.

I have the iPad Mini 5 and iPad 6th gen. The Mini has the highest density screen of any iPad (Pro and non). Performance is outstanding. I splurged and picked up the 256GB model.

I previously had a 32GB Mini 4. I usually don't buy iPads with that low of a storage but I expected to only use it sparingly to supplement my 12.9 Pro (and then later, the 6th gen). But I was quite surprised at how much more useful the form-factor was.

If the Mini 6 rumors are true, then the Mini 5 will be the last Mini to support the smart cover. I have a few Apple smartcovers for my Mini 5. They are quite inexpensive... picked up a new black and new product (RED) for $10 each. I have a clear adhesive skin on the back to protect from scratches and improve grip.

The combination of smartcover and skin makes it the lightest and thinnest option that offers protection from scratches. I have a matte screen protector that cuts out glare and fingerprint smudges, and offers a nicer experience when using the Apple Pencil or even with a finger. And although the matte protector reduces the clarity slightly, it still looks better than the other iPads because of the higher density.

I also picked up a Zagg keyboard case for those times when I want a netbook form-factor. Again, extremely inexpensive.

I am able to do everything on the Mini 5 that I was previously doing on the 12.9 Pro and 9.7 6th gen. (and that has been quite a bit)

Some say that there isn't much difference between the Mini and a large smartphone but that's not true... there is a significant size difference... enough to make the Mini worth having.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America

What are you currently using instead of an iPad? Was there a reason you gave away the 8th gen? Was it the weight? If so, I recommend considering the Mini.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I've more or less abandoned smaller tablets; I sold my Mini 5 to nab an iPad Air 4 and haven't looked back.
I made this same upgrade. Very happy with the larger display. I still miss the portability of the Mini, but if you want to watch movies or do most things for long periods of time, the Mini can feel a little underwhelming IMO. I know that’s not true for everyone. Some people don’t mind watching movies on their phone. I can’t stand doing that, though.

vagos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
What are you currently using instead of an iPad? Was there a reason you gave away the 8th gen? Was it the weight? If so, I recommend considering the Mini.
Currently just computer+phone. I gave away the 8th gen because it was too small to do real work on it but still heavy to read books in bed. I guess you're right, I should really consider the mini.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Currently just computer+phone. I gave away the 8th gen because it was too small to do real work on it but still heavy to read books in bed. I guess you're right, I should really consider the mini.
I’m really curious how much larger the next Mini’s screen will be. 7.9” is better than a phone, but I’d prefer larger. My fantasy is something close to 9”, like 8.6”-8.9”.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
This is why I'm a fan of the 9.7" prior generations. Not too big and not too small. 5th and 6th gens still going strong. But in this situation, I'd go with the 9th over Mini.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Definitely keep your options open. It’s a good idea to consider the Mini, since the 8th gen was too heavy for reading in bed. Hopefully the Mini could be a nice happy medium in its 6th iteration.

Reactions: vagos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.