Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple friends.

Could anyone recommend a totally free good back up or better yet a totally free, good cloner for Windows Boot Camp (Windows 11), so I can fresh install macOS (Windows Boot Camp is currently on the save hardisk as macOS but on a different partition) on a new SSD and the Windows (which I use for relaxation on sunday after a hard week's work to play games or use its more detailed diagnostics tools) on another SSD, both would be internal SSDs. The one to be cloned or back is is around 600GB. The target backup is an external SSD via USB 3.0.

I think nothing beats each OS having it's own SSD to dual boot from (same with other macOS, it's best they have their own flashdrive or external disk or internal disk just for them).

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alvin777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. After tedious days to weeks of trying to back up Boot Camp (for free, Winclone had it been free would have been the no. 1 go to), trying out almost all cloners including Rescuezllla (Clonezilla's GUI cousin), Macrium, I think the best is to just use the Windows backup (w/ system image checked) or in my case just the system image feature since I just "nuked" my Mac's main drive (it's a good feeling to fresh install everything).

Have a great week. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.