Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ibrahem Ahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2020
I've a MBP 2020 running Big Sur, and for some reason the touch ID sensor is not picking up my fingerprint. I only managed to get it work, when touch the sensor on the right far right side. If I just place my finger in the middle of the sensor it wont pick it up.

I've tried removing all finger prints and adding them again, and resetting the SMC, but still have the same problem. Any Idea what might be causing this?

Last edited:

Ibrahem Ahmed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2020
Update: I updated to macos monterey, and tried another SMC reset but still have the same problem

TimmKook

Suspended
Sep 1, 2020
I've a MBP 2020 running Big Sur, and for some reason the touch ID sensor is not picking up my fingerprint. I only managed to get it work, when touch the sensor on the right far right side. If I just place my finger in the middle of the sensor it wont pick it up.

I've tried removing all finger prints and adding them again, and resetting the SMC, but still have the same problem. Any Idea what might be causing this?
Is it only when your MBP is plugged in? I have the same issue. But no issue when unplugged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.