Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Over the last week, I noticed my Touch ID wasn't responding. Kinda brushed it off as a glitch. But today, I had had enough. I deleted the current print and was going to just set it up again hoping it would fix the issue. But to my dismay, it won't let me set up a new. Keeps erroring out.

Yes, I restarted. Sierra version 10.12.4.

Saw someone else was also dealing with this. What gives?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Firstly, make sure the TouchID is clean. Make sure your fingers are clean and not greasy or anything. As to it not working, depending on what you've been doing it can make a difference. Your prints will change slightly over time and if you work with your hands it can cause issues with TouchID. I notice it with my iPhone if I've been sanding something or using chemicals, even wearing a glove for a period can cause a build up. Washing hands and stuff usually cures it but I've had to reset my prints a couple of times.

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Firstly, make sure the TouchID is clean. Make sure your fingers are clean and not greasy or anything. As to it not working, depending on what you've been doing it can make a difference. Your prints will change slightly over time and if you work with your hands it can cause issues with TouchID. I notice it with my iPhone if I've been sanding something or using chemicals, even wearing a glove for a period can cause a build up. Washing hands and stuff usually cures it but I've had to reset my prints a couple of times.

Totally clean and hasn't worked all week.

I can't reset. Before it even tying to recognize my print it errors out. Immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.