Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yeahyeahyeah123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
So I have a 2017 15/3.1/1T. It works well BUT TouchID has a hard time registering my fingerprint. The sensor/button works but it's rarely consistent in reading my fingerprint. Am I just doing it wrong or is something up with with the sensor?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I have the same model and no issues. Try to re-register the fingerprint (delete the original one) and see if that makes a difference. If the inconsistency remains, i.e. not related to the first recorded fingerprint, then you can make a genius appointment.

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah123

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Thanks all. It weirdly resolved itself after leaving it alone for a little over 24 hours.

Make sure the TouchID sensor is clean and your hands are relatively clean. The TouchID on phones tends to get 'cleaned' somewhat regularly when moving the phone in and out of your pocket. Grease and dust can build up on the TouchID which doesn't have this luxury of constant mild cleaning occurring. If it's a little dirty it can affect its ability to read accurately.

Reactions: Yeahyeahyeah123

Yeahyeahyeah123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Make sure the TouchID sensor is clean and your hands are relatively clean. The TouchID on phones tends to get 'cleaned' somewhat regularly when moving the phone in and out of your pocket. Grease and dust can build up on the TouchID which doesn't have this luxury of constant mild cleaning occurring. If it's a little dirty it can affect its ability to read accurately.
Thanks, I also noticed that it started working better when the computer wasn't emitting a lot of heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.