Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgeBell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Just wondering if anyone else has had their fingerprint stop working? Today my MacBook Pro touchID stopped working and asked me for a password after it went to sleep, after a few times of this I went into touchID in the properties, and no fingers are configured...I've had the Mac since day one, and had setup one finger, with no problems using touchID till this point...I have not gone in and removed it, and there is nobody else with access to my machine.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Yep. I came home from work last week and opened up the lid of my MBP only to find a kernel panic. Once it finished booting, I found that my fingerprint was deleted. It's only happened once but I've only had the MBP for 3 weeks.

My MBP is currently with Apple being "repaired" for a plethora of reasons.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Had the same problem once, stuck on a black screen after system standby, rebooted the machine and my learned print was gone

enjo70

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2017
I also have this happening several times now. It just happened now actually. I had to put in my fingerprint again.
It usually happens when my MBP restarts for whatever reason...it happens actually quite often that it just restarts by itself. And sometimes it seems the fingerprint gets lost...very annoying.

Crispinhodges

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Me too. I hope Apple fix this it is very time consuming to re-enter them and defeats the point of the only really useful thing about the touch bar (which I still hate as I regularly trigger things by accident)

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
Aha. Same thing happened today on my 2017 MBP TB 13".

Been using touchID since day one and this is the first time this happened in five months. I believe there is a reason though.

My 2 cents: I was trying out a pirated software yesterday. Usually the releases of TNT comes with a Gatekeeper friendly app and it extracts the contents onto the desktop but never requires password; just a simple enter to the 'Yes' does the job. I installed CalcBot yesterday and during the gatekeeper terminal dialogue it asked for password. I've never seen this before. So maybe something happened there? Apple removes fingerprints as a measure of security vulnerabilities, I've read in placed.

I ran Malwarebytes, KnockKnock and RansomWhere?. Where the last 2 didn't find anything, Malwarebytes found a property List item (*.plist) and quarantined it.

EDIT: Removed both the pirated app and the quarantined file from my system.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Aha. Same thing happened today on my 2017 MBP TB 13".

Been using touchID since day one and this is the first time this happened in five months. I believe there is a reason though.

My 2 cents: I was trying out a pirated software yesterday. Usually the releases of TNT comes with a Gatekeeper friendly app and it extracts the contents onto the desktop but never requires password; just a simple enter to the 'Yes' does the job. I installed CalcBot yesterday and during the gatekeeper terminal dialogue it asked for password. I've never seen this before. So maybe something happened there? Apple removes fingerprints as a measure of security vulnerabilities, I've read in placed.

I ran Malwarebytes, KnockKnock and RansomWhere?. Where the last 2 didn't find anything, Malwarebytes found a property List item (*.plist) and quarantined it.

EDIT: Removed both the pirated app and the quarantined file from my system.

Might I suggest not stealing software?? And not posting about it online?? Might save you a lot of trouble...with your fingerprint being deleted, as well as other things...

Reactions: kohlson

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
It usually happens when my MBP restarts for whatever reason...it happens actually quite often that it just restarts by itself. And sometimes it seems the fingerprint gets lost...very annoying.

That's a weird safety feature.
Your laptop gets stolen and all people have to do is reboot????

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2016
India
Might I suggest not stealing software?? And not posting about it online?? Might save you a lot of trouble...with your fingerprint being deleted, as well as other things...
You know that feeling... like you've never done something illicit willingly and then just for once you do break that, hoping that you don't get a backlash for that. I was hoping that this old thread might just avoid the eyes of such people.

Noted.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It has nothing to do with pirated software. I have lost a Touch ID as well, and all of my software is either free, or paid for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.