Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Yesterday my trackpad's right and left click weren't working when pressing down on or around the bottom corners which was rather annoying but I did have a similar problem about a month ago but got the trackpad replaced by a Genius.

However this morning, the trackpad is responding with the clicks perfectly fine. Really, really weird considering my MBP (2010 15") hasn't moved from my desk and was just on sleep overnight!

At first I thought it was a mechanical problem but now I'm thinking maybe not. The only apps I had opened last night was Safari, Mail, Adobe Reader and Word 2011 so nothing extravagant and intense.

Anyone have any clues what may have caused this problem?

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Yesterday my trackpad's right and left click weren't working when pressing down on or around the bottom corners which was rather annoying but I did have a similar problem about a month ago but got the trackpad replaced by a Genius.

However this morning, the trackpad is responding with the clicks perfectly fine. Really, really weird considering my MBP (2010 15") hasn't moved from my desk and was just on sleep overnight!

At first I thought it was a mechanical problem but now I'm thinking maybe not. The only apps I had opened last night was Safari, Mail, Adobe Reader and Word 2011 so nothing extravagant and intense.

Anyone have any clues what may have caused this problem?

Is it the macbook pro in your signature? If so I'm guessing a unibody one?

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Do you mean the actual physical "click" wasn`t occurring?
If so it is possible to adjust it by turning a screw under the pad, not for those who are afraid of a bit of technical work tho and better done by Apple if you still have warranty.
Does it feel stiff to click?

TBH I turned on Tap To Click immediately and have pretty much never pressed the trackpad button.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Is it the macbook pro in your signature? If so I'm guessing a unibody one?

Yes

Do you mean the actual physical "click" wasn`t occurring?
If so it is possible to adjust it by turning a screw under the pad, not for those who are afraid of a bit of technical work tho and better done by Apple if you still have warranty.
Does it feel stiff to click?

TBH I turned on Tap To Click immediately and have pretty much never pressed the trackpad button.

The trackpad started to misbehave again but this time I knew something was wrong as soon I heard a click sound that was not at its usual pitch. Couldn't replicate the sound again and the stiffness of the click didn't change.

I did research the problem and found the youtube clip about adjusting the trackpad screw but chickened out of the idea incase I invalidated the warranty which still has over 2yrs to run.

However, I did manage to fix/cure the problem but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a similar problem. Don't laugh, but what I did was close the lid, turn the unit upside down and gave it a couple of wallops on the underside (but not quite as hard as one would fix an old telly) and bingo, job done and now everything back to perfection!

I do normally use tap to click but on the odd occasion I use the clicks to do such things like empty the trash, open links in new tabs, etc. or whenever an app requires me to use the clicks.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Violence and technology generally don't mix but hopefully it worked for you. I know on my aluminum macbook pro my trackpad quit work properly because I had a battery at the end of its lifecycle expanding and putting pressure on it from below. I'm not familiar with the placement of the battery in the unibody macbook pro and judging by the newness of your computer this probably isn't the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.