Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Do you use a trackpad? To you, is it better than using a mouse/magic mouse?
I've been thinking of getting and using one. Then again, am still new to fully moving from Windows to macOS...

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I always preferred the trackpad but with the 24" iMac there was always slight delays or stutters that never happened when I plugged in the trackpad or use the magic mouse instead.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I believe a trackpad and a mouse are just different and each have different strengths. My opinon, in general, is that the trackpad is more "natural" to use. I think it shines on scrolling (like in web browsers or scrolling documents) and on gestures which can be important on the Mac (switch desktops, mission control, etc). But the mouse is stronger when you need to move the pointer quickly (like a game), need more precise pointer control (selecting text, for example) or when you need to click-and-drag. Click-and-drag is a big problem on a trackpad. So I have both in my desktop setup since each are useful.

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
I believe a trackpad and a mouse are just different and each have different strengths. My opinon, in general, is that the trackpad is more "natural" to use. I think it shines on scrolling (like in web browsers or scrolling documents) and on gestures which can be important on the Mac (switch desktops, mission control, etc). But the mouse is stronger when you need to move the pointer quickly (like a game), need more precise pointer control (selecting text, for example) or when you need to click-and-drag. Click-and-drag is a big problem on a trackpad. So I have both in my desktop setup since each are useful.
Winner winner chicken dinner 🤣

Mouse wise, I prefer Logitech mx anywhere to the apple magic. (not so magic when it comes to charging).

Reactions: kasakka

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Thanks for the breakdown. This totally makes sense. I could see how frustrated I would be if I was struggling to select text, or drag and drop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.