Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruz21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hi all!

I have a 15" 2018 macbook pro, everything is working great. I was just wondering if my trackpad's sound is normal. When I click the sound is rather high-pitched (see video). Is this the normal sound of the MacBook trackpad?

Thanks!

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
That is normal. If you prefer, you can set it for Silent Clicking in System Preferences/Trackpad.

Cruz21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Thanks, I don't have much options in the menu:

menu.png

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
I'll be frank and straight with you. We need to stop our anal tendencies when it comes to these things. We have people complaining that when they press the delete key, it sounds louder than the other keys. etc. I would bet my life that even a sound level meter wouldn't be able to detect the difference. You press the trackpad, the haptic motor creates a vibration that makes it feel like you clicked the trackpad. This is NORMAL.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Thanks, I don't have much options in the menu:
So sorry Cruz. I was on my Magic Trackpad that has that option, but I'm glad you posted a screen shot of your trackpad preferences. Check the box next to "Tap to click", Then all you need to do are tap gestures, and not press gestures that result in the feedback sound. You will like tap more after a while using it. Enjoy your awesome Mac!

Mattie12345

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Just learnt a few things from others here.

You cannot off the clicking sound; you only turn off the force click functions.

If worried about excessive noise, try clicking it when the MacBook Pro is powered down. It should not make click sounds. And you see that the haptic returns are artificial.

The trackpad should not even move when the MacBook Pro is switched off. Of course if you press really hard, there is some flex in the chassis, which is normal.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.