Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memorygirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Hi,

I’ve been troubleshooting my 7 plus for weeks now with Apple chat and at the Genius Bar. In short, for the past month the battery drops to 35% after 5 hours off the charger. Same use model, and battery health shows 96%.

We’ve reinstalled the software, updated it, deleted and reinstalled Facebook, which shows the greatest battery use, checked for hardware damage, and nothing.

So, at this point do I move to the XR? Or is there a solution I missed. Of course it’s paid off now...

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I traded in my 7+ for an Xr last week. My 7+ was working fine, though. No issues at all. We haven’t heard from the trade-in company yet (we also traded my wife’s jet black 7 in) but I anticipate no snags. I’d do it if I were you. IMO, Touch ID is faster than Face ID, but things are moving forward…

It’s early but the Xr camera seems great. I’ll miss the zoom lens but an upgrade is coming.

memorygirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I traded in my 7+ for an Xr last week. My 7+ was working fine, though. No issues at all. We haven’t heard from the trade-in company yet (we also traded my wife’s jet black 7 in) but I anticipate no snags. I’d do it if I were you. IMO, Touch ID is faster than Face ID, but things are moving forward…

It’s early but the Xr camera seems great. I’ll miss the zoom lens but an upgrade is coming.

Thanks for your input. Can you explain the zoom lens comment?

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
The 7+ has 2 lenses, a wide angle and zoom. I used the zoom frequently. The Xr has only 1 lens. It’s rumored to have the zoom lens in the fall.

Reactions: memorygirl

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Before trading it in made sure you are okay with the XR low resolution screen. Ive seen it in person and the texts to me is blurray YMMV. Remember you're iphone 7 plus (2016) has a HD 1080p screen vs. 820p (2018). Some are fine with the screen while others are not.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Before trading it in made sure you are okay with the XR low resolution screen. Ive seen it in person and the texts to me is blurray YMMV. Remember you're iphone 7 plus (2016) has a HD 1080p screen vs. 820p (2018). Some are fine with the screen while others are not.
The screen doesn’t look blurry to me at all, but I’m still getting used to the aspect ratio; the screen seems so tall.

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
Screen-on time is important here, which isn't stated. Facebook is a battery hog from what I've read. If you are on Facebook all the time, it will definitely go down to 35% in 5 hours.

That being said, XR is the current battery king in Apple's world. I'd personally try to get by until September when/if an XR2 or the like releases.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
The screen doesn’t look blurry to me at all, but I’m still getting used to the aspect ratio; the screen seems so tall.
I find the extra screen real estate (tallness) to be of no use to me, I don’t even read the top inch of screen and tend to keep focussed on the centre part and scroll for the rest. However the extra width of the Max is absolutely necessary as I hate cramped keyboards and smaller text. (I know about dynamic fonts but they don’t work in Safari so I use zoomed screen instead.)

memorygirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Screen-on time is important here, which isn't stated. Facebook is a battery hog from what I've read. If you are on Facebook all the time, it will definitely go down to 35% in 5 hours.

That being said, XR is the current battery king in Apple's world. I'd personally try to get by until September when/if an XR2 or the like releases.

Are you saying if I Swipe and close after looking at Facebook it might help?
[doublepost=1559231662][/doublepost]

Do you think I’ll still get something decent for trading in the 7 plus in the fall when the new phones are out? Right now it’s $270

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.