Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
So I have an iPhone 6s that has issues that I didn't cause and I need it replaced, but the problem is I'm still paying for it monthly on Verizon's two year contract. Can they still replace it for a new one at the Apple Store? Or even fix it? And if so how much would it cost? I need to know because the closest Apple Store is pretty far away from my house and I don't wanna drive all the way out there and them say I can't. Thank you :)

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
I would call the Apple Store and talk to them. Different people will tell you different things so it is best to get the information right from the source. I have always found the Apple Store here in Cincinnati to be very accommodating and bend over backwards to be helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: ABC5S

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple is the manufacturer and the ones to go to. You can go through the carrier most likely too, but going though the manufacturer, especially one like Apple, would generally be more direct, faster, and often enough better.

Reactions: eyoungren and ABC5S

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Thanks guys. I think I'll just go to the store, I hate talking on the phone, haha.
[doublepost=1455306525][/doublepost]Oh yeah, and how much would it cost?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh yeah, and how much would it cost?
Nothing.

Apple has a one year manufacturer warranty on the iPhone. If the phone is defective within that time period it is replaced free of charge.

Note that defects are different than user damage. If you damaged it (cracked the screen, put a big dent in it, etc) then the cost of replacement is on you. But you say this wasn't caused by you so you should be fine.

Reactions: aristobrat

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Yeah, I have a whole bunch of dust behind the screen coming in through the vibrate switch.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Apple can replace damaged/faulty phones even if they are on a contract. If your network locks the phone, then the new one will also be locked. If the carrier does lock their devices then let them know of the change so they can put the new phone details in on their end. Helps prevent any drama later on.

Also, not sure about your closest Apple Store but worth noting that they usually work on an appointment basis. Try booking one in advance just in case they can't accommodate walk-ins.

Docle888

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
Apple can replace damaged/faulty phones even if they are on a contract. If your network locks the phone, then the new one will also be locked. If the carrier does lock their devices then let them know of the change so they can put the new phone details in on their end. Helps prevent any drama later on.

Also, not sure about your closest Apple Store but worth noting that they usually work on an appointment basis. Try booking one in advance just in case they can't accommodate walk-ins.
Ok, thank you. I didn't even think about having to make an appointment, luckily I didn't drive all the way out there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.