Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebbz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
London
i have a d40x which ive enjoyed very much since purchasing it

however
the fact it doesnt auto-focus on some lenses is quite a pain

and i wish to sell it and buy a camera for about the same price maybe more
highest is probably about £300/£350
i think the d40x could sell for about £220-£250
id probably sell as body only
but if i can get the other camera with a standard kit lens then i would part with the one i have..

could someone reccomend me something as good or better that can autofocus lenses as standard and just as good or better than the d40x

looking at the d60,d80ish range, but not sure to be honest

(has to be nikon though, because of the lenses i have)

thanks if anyone can help out

zebbz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
London
I guess you'd be looking at D50/60/80 depending on price etc.

Seeing as you're in London then Grays of Westminster might be worth dropping in to.

hi thanks for the link

i think the d80 is most likely the one ill go for

im going to call up grays first before visiting them to ask if theyd consider taking my d40x as part exchange or something towards a d80
couldnt see any on there though to get a rough idea of what they would value it at

chrisburke

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
d60 would be a waste, as it too wont auto focus with some lens.. d70 is pretty decent.. but d80 is better... i doubt you'd get £250 for a d40x body... on ebay, you can get a body for around 300 (usd) which i believe is around 200 pounds...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I have a D40 and while I feel the same as you about the autofocus, I'm personally waiting until the D90 body drops in price a bit (it's $900 new right now, I'm goign to try and hold out until it's $600 used or so) to upgrade.

Jut a thought, if you don't absolutely need to upgrade to something with a built in focus motor. The D90 adds several features over any of the older Nikon cameras, not the least of which is HD video recording. I figure it should only take a year or two to get down that far, with the economy slowing down I think there will be a glut of high end electronics on the used markets soon...

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
i still have my nikon d40x. i plan to send it away at some point to turn it into an infrared dslr. i wont care about the auto focus with most lens' with it as i'd be taking large landscape type things then.

cool option for it because you wont get much for it ...or atleast enough to make a big diff i think

zebbz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
London
mm the idea of waiting for a d90 does sound good
but i think i would have to wait longer than i would like to

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Don't wait. "Downgrade" to 6MP with a used D50 for about $200.

This is what I would have got in the first place instead of D40/D40x/D60.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Don't wait. "Downgrade" to 6MP with a used D50 for about $200.

This is what I would have got in the first place instead of D40/D40x/D60.

I trust what Ken Rockwell has to say about the Nikon line, personally.

If you want to upgrade right now the D80 is under $600 (body only, refurbed by Nikon) and has most/all of the improvements the D40 has over the D50.

But, despite the fact that I could probably trade up from my D40 to a D80 and buy a 50mm f/1.5 prime for about the same as it would cost me to get the new 50mm f/1.4 AF-S lens (or Sigma's 30mm f/1.4), I'm still going to wait for the D90 to get to that price point. The HD video is a big factor for me, but the GPS module for geotagging is a very close second. (I'll pick up the 50mm f/1.8 at the same time, incidentally).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.