Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Hello all - I recently bought a 7 Plus, and received an offer via text message from AT&T saying my old 6S could be worth up to $650 in bill credit if I trade it in. I own the phone (bought it outright) and it is unlocked (used AT&T's unlocking service). Current prices on eBay for an unlocked 64GB 6S Plus are around $500, so I am curious.

However! The ridiculous thing is if you fill out the form online to do the trade, they quote you a value of $0.00 until you send it in. Then they decide what they plan to give you and you're stuck with that. My phone is in pretty flawless condition, but still. Who's to say they won't just say "okay it's worth $200" after teasing me with this $650 figure.

Has anyone done this trade-in process and if so, how much did you actually get from AT&T?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Hello all - I recently bought a 7 Plus, and received an offer via text message from AT&T saying my old 6S could be worth up to $650 in bill credit if I trade it in. I own the phone (bought it outright) and it is unlocked (used AT&T's unlocking service). Current prices on eBay for an unlocked 64GB 6S Plus are around $500, so I am curious.

However! The ridiculous thing is if you fill out the form online to do the trade, they quote you a value of $0.00 until you send it in. Then they decide what they plan to give you and you're stuck with that. My phone is in pretty flawless condition, but still. Who's to say they won't just say "okay it's worth $200" after teasing me with this $650 figure.

Has anyone done this trade-in process and if so, how much did you actually get from AT&T?
I traded in my 6Plus at my local AT&T store and it took like 5 minutes. $650.00 in credit divided into monthly segments depending on whether you went with 24 or 30 months. My new 7Plus went from $36.00 a month to 11.00 per month. I was quite happy. Very easy and smooth transaction, although I had a very good and experienced CS rep handle mine. This is ONE thing AT&T did right.

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I traded in my 6Plus at my local AT&T store and it took like 5 minutes. $650.00 in credit divided into monthly segments depending on whether you went with 24 or 30 months. My new 7Plus went from $36.00 a month to 11.00 per month. I was quite happy. Very easy and smooth transaction, although I had a very good and experienced CS rep handle mine. This is ONE thing AT&T did right.

This is with Next right?

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

Thank you that's exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I'll just go to a local store instead of trying to do it online - that way I'll know for sure how much credit I'm getting on the spot. What model 6S Plus did you have? Mine is a 64GB, so guessing maybe it wouldn't be the full $650 like you got.

So they apply it directly to your Next payments? That actually seems like a better deal than trying to mess around with eBay. Did you have to give them the lightning cable or anything else with it?
[doublepost=1474748338][/doublepost]Edit: Hang on, you got $650 credit for a 6 Plus or a 6S Plus? If it was for the 6 Plus that's amazing!

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
They won't say it's worth anything less $650. That's why you have to enter the promo. As long as your phone isn't all scratched up on the screen and is in good condition, you will get the full $650. However, if you are concerned then just take it to the AT&T corporate store and they will take care of it for you there. Also, you have to be on the Next plan in order to get the credit. If you are not on the Next then they will only give you whatever the amount shows online(without the code) which is significantly less. With that being said, you will be better off selling on eBay since you bought it outright, or going back to where you purchased it and have them put you on the Next plan so that you will qualify for the $650.

One last thing, it doesn't matter whether you have a 6, 6+, 6s or 6s+ or which gb you have, they are all the same credit until the promo ends which is $650. (I am a former employee, but the website also states everything I've stated above)

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
They won't say it's worth anything less $650. That's why you have to enter the promo. As long as your phone isn't all scratched up on the screen and is in good condition, you will get the full $650. However, if you are concerned then just take it to the AT&T corporate store and they will take care of it for you there. Also, you have to be on the Next plan in order to get the credit. If you are not on the Next then they will only give you whatever the amount shows online(without the code) which is significantly less. With that being said, you will be better off selling on eBay since you bought it outright, or going back to where you purchased it and have them put you on the Next plan so that you will qualify for the $650.

One last thing, it doesn't matter whether you have a 6, 6+, 6s or 6s+ or which gb you have, they are all the same credit until the promo ends which is $650. (I am a former employee, but the website also states everything I've stated above)

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't understand whether it was at their discretion to offer less than $650. I am on the Next plan now, but I purchased the 6S Plus outright, so I will definitely be taking advantage of the promo!
[doublepost=1474756967][/doublepost]Also just in case anyone sees this and is thinking about doing it - the offer ends tomorrow!

Reactions: csmith1289

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
So I purchased two 7's outright from the Apple Store and I have AT&T. My 6sPlus and 6s were both on Next but I paid them off prior to the 7 coming out. Can I just walk into at&t and trade in my 6sPlus and 6s for a 650 credit (bill credit) for each phone? I currently don't have next.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
So I purchased two 7's outright from the Apple Store and I have AT&T. My 6sPlus and 6s were both on Next but I paid them off prior to the 7 coming out. Can I just walk into at&t and trade in my 6sPlus and 6s for a 650 credit (bill credit) for each phone? I currently don't have next.
No, you specifically have to purchase the new iPhone on the next plan to get the credit. The only time you can get a straight bill credit is if you do it under their normal trade in which of course they don't give you much for the phones.

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
You could return the 7's you bought, and buy 2 new ones on Next. But that would depend on whoever you are buying from having availability on the phones you want.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
You could return the 7's you bought, and buy 2 new ones on Next. But that would depend on whoever you are buying from having availability on the phones you want.
Exactly, and since he purchased from Apple, he should be able to return them and re purchase the same phones on the Next if he wants..

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
So if I'm not part of the next program but wish to trade in a 6 Plus for the credit is this still possible?

Edit - never mind. See the answer above

Zephyres

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2016

Once the store accepts the phone as fully functional is it gauaranteed to get the bill credits of 650 over a period of 24/30 months?

(Or)

Does the att store just collect the phones and send them to the trade in department where they are checked for condition and then determine whether to reject or accept? My phone has intermittent flickering issues so trying to see if it is worth to trade it in..

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
Once the store accepts the phone as fully functional is it gauaranteed to get the bill credits of 650 over a period of 24/30 months?

(Or)

Does the att store just collect the phones and send them to the trade in department where they are checked for condition and then determine whether to reject or accept? My phone has intermittent flickering issues so trying to see if it is worth to trade it in..
Once the store accepts, you are good. That is how it has been in the past at least so I don't think that has changed.

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016
I am already on the Next Program from last year and have my phone. I just have to send in my 6s+. Neither Best Buy nor ATT would accept phone. Said I have to send it in myself. Has anyone already gone through this? I have the paperwork that was emailed to me but it says I should track the return via the tracking number on the return label which should start with a 610 or 725. None of the numbers on my return label start with that. Also, I have never erased all content. Last year, Best Buy did that and accepted the trade in. I didn't have to do any of it. Just wanting to make sure I do this right so I get the trade in credit. Is there anyone that can help or share their experience doing this or advise who would be the best to consult - ATT, Best Buy, ...???

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am already on the Next Program from last year and have my phone. I just have to send in my 6s+. Neither Best Buy nor ATT would accept phone. Said I have to send it in myself. Has anyone already gone through this? I have the paperwork that was emailed to me but it says I should track the return via the tracking number on the return label which should start with a 610 or 725. None of the numbers on my return label start with that. Also, I have never erased all content. Last year, Best Buy did that and accepted the trade in. I didn't have to do any of it. Just wanting to make sure I do this right so I get the trade in credit. Is there anyone that can help or share their experience doing this or advise who would be the best to consult - ATT, Best Buy, ...???
ATT does require you to send your next phone in. I'm defining "next phone" as a phone that still has remaining payments to own it outright but that you opted to trade back in in order to get another phone and start payments on next again. Unsure why they do this but I had to go through that as well.

If your phone isn't already paid off you can't get the trade in credit. This credit is only for phones you own outright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.