Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melow71

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Just bought a "transcend sdhc" 8gb card for my new canon 990is, but when i load the card into card reader and plugged it into my macbook usb port and the card can't be read for some reason???? It says, initialize, so i initialized and nothing..... i know this is new tech... for digital camera's but why isn't the card being read???

any ideas-

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I'm actually using a Transcend 8gb sd card and it works great on mine. Both mac/pc

Did you try formatting the card in the camera?

EDIT:

Also can you see the card in disk utility? If so try formatting it there also but the camera format is the best

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I know.. I kinda regretted paying $30 for a card reader but hey when you spend $2k on an Imac what's another $30 for a matching card reader?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Does the card seem to work in the camera? Can you try downloading the photos from the camera with the USB cable? If that works it's probably the reader, or some card/reader interaction. SDHC compatibility problems perhaps, as suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.