Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hi

Can't find any info on this. Normally when get new iPhone I update current iPhone same iOS version new iPhone then backup and restore backup on new iPhone.

This time not selling my old iPhone first time. Give it to Dad. Was wondering backup my current iPhone on latest version iOS 10 and restore from backup new iPhone on iOS 11.

Will that work or both iPhone need be same iOS version?

Thanks.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here is what I did when moving from old iPhone 5 to 6s: back up 5 top my icloud account, powered up 6s, connected to internet, selected restore from icloud, signed into my account, restored everything that was compatible with my 6s.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sound like it should be fine even different iOS version.
You can restore from an older version of iOS to a newer version of iOS.

What you cannot do is restore from a newer version of iOS to an older version of iOS.

So, yes, you can restore to iOS 11 from the iOS 10 backup. You just couldn't go the other way.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
You can restore from an older version of iOS to a newer version of iOS.

What you cannot do is restore from a newer version of iOS to an older version of iOS.

So, yes, you can restore to iOS 11 from the iOS 10 backup. You just couldn't go the other way.

Fab thanks. Good to know.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.