Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi. Last night I made some new video and tried to transfer from the camcorder to my new 2012 MB. I realized the cable I used for my older Power Mac had been FW 400 to mini FW, which worked fine. Of course it didn't work with the MB Pro, because it's FireWire 800. It's an older Panasonic mini dv tape camcorder, Model PV GS59 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PV-GS59-MiniDV-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000DZH8FC I know it's older but it's fine for what I'm doing; I like the results.

I tried USB to mini USB cable, camcorder to MacBook, but iMovie would not see the camera. Does it have to be Firewire for camcorder to Mac? If so that's okay, I'm just having a little trouble finding that cable locally, and will probably have to order this one from Amazon. http://www.staples.com/Tripp-Lite-6...4b-9Pin-4Pin-Hi-Speed-Cable/product_IM1G52784

Until then I guess I can transfer to the old Power Mac, then transfer the video file via external HD to my MB Pro. Has anyone dealt with something similar? Any thoughts most appreciated. Thank you.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I miss-placed my mini FW to FW 800 cable one day and daisy chained a FW drive with a couple adapter cables. I used a mini FW to FW 400 plugged into a FW drive I had hanging around, and then a FW 400 from the drive to FW 800 cable that was hanging around. Worked fine as long as I remembered to turn the drive on. You may have something similar in your junk box. :)

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I miss-placed my mini FW to FW 800 cable one day and daisy chained a FW drive with a couple adapter cables. I used a mini FW to FW 400 plugged into a FW drive I had hanging around, and then a FW 400 from the drive to FW 800 cable that was hanging around. Worked fine as long as I remembered to turn the drive on. You may have something similar in your junk box. :)

Hey ColdCase, thank you so much. That's a great suggestion. I just didn't know that I could use a FW drive as the middle man in this case, and still see the camera. Forgive me for being redundant but let me tell you what I would try tomorrow then: Plug the mini FW into camcorder, 400 plug into a Seagate FW drive, then use a FW 400 to 800 cable on the other port of that Seagate drive to connect to my MacBook Pro. Which is I believe exactly what you suggested. The Seagate drive will act as a bridge, and the MacBook will likely see the camera? I will give it a shot. And order the cable, mini FW to 800.

Just wondering, I saw in some places where they said USB doesn't work for mini dv camcorder transfer to Mac. Is this true? Thanks again buddy.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah thats how I connected it up. Dunno anything about USB and mini DV. USB2 bandwidth may be lacking. I can transfer from my digital cameras via USB, but they don't have FW ports and the video is already digitized.... so its just a file transfer. Mini DV tape is not like a digital file.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Thanks to ColdCase: suggestion worked. I used the external FW drive as a sort of adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.