Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I wasn't planning to upgrade to macOS Ventura yet, I was waiting for v13.1, but yesterday I was forced to. After I installed the latest Monterey minor update from v12.6 to v12.6.1 my MBP became unstable and started getting kernel panics like crazy. It is the first time I have experienced this while installing a macOS minor update. Instead of using time in troubleshooting or try to restore the Mac to a previous Time Machine backup I decided to pull the plug, wiped everything and installed Ventura from a USB stick.

So far it is working fine. All my documents and data are stored in eternal disks so it was not so difficult to decide to upgrade. Now I am facing a dilema, my Apple Photos library in Monterey was synced with iCloud Photo. The file is massive, there are over 8000 photos and videos there. I am wondering what is recommended in this case, should I just start from a new photo library in Ventura and let it be populated from the cloud, or should I just point Apple Photos to my old library and then activate iCloud Photos sync on it? I am a bit afraid that iCloud Photos is going to get confused and will cause havoc in my iCloud Photo library which is synced to several of my devices.

What would be the recommended way to do this?

Thank you.

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
If If space/time/bandwidth not an issue, I'd create a new library with Ventura. However, I don't think there's much harm in opening the old library (which will get migrated by Photos) and designating it as the System Photo library (which will get synced). I've done this in the past but noticed that oddly, Photos may still choose to re-download most of the photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.