Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Asking for a friend, hoping someone has an answer.

Got a friend who uses all Apple products, so uses AirDrop to transfer files (PDF, Word stuff) between computers. An iPad is a better solution for them, however...

Everyone else around them uses Android tablets, and they're struggling to transfer these files between the devices. I believe they use Huawei things which may have an AirDrop equivalent.

Does anyone know an easy way to transfer these files? Is there an App or something to make it as simple as AirDrop?

Note it's in China, so no Dropbox and quite a lot of other things. iCloud works but not ideal without internet connection, same with OneDrive if using Office. An accessory would be fine, however I think the USB-3 adapter only supports photos so no good.

Any help greatly appreciated, save this person buying an Android tablet!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Thank you. It's specifically iPad to Android Tablet however. Assume there's no internet, and only the tablets available. How does one transfer say a PDF, without complicated steps involving downloading specific apps or anything?

Is there an App on iOS (Paid or free) that allows you to simply send a file, without the Android Tablet requiring a download? Anything that would work natively, failing that and USB flash drives that'd do the same?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There should be apps available on either platform that allows devices to function as WebDAV/HTTP file server. Perhaps SMB and NFS, too. For iOS, I recommend Documents by Readdle. That said, it does require a wifi network. I don't think peer to peer would work unless you turn one of the devices into a hotspot.

Alas, there's no native file sharing protocol between Android and iOS. You need 3rd party apps. As for USB, do note the iPad doesn't have a USB port. That would require purchase of an adapter (which may not always work) or a special Lightning/USB flash drive and USB OTG adapter for Android.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.