Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeachDuc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
Hi there, I've just bought an new iMac 27" and am looking for a better solution to get my Photos library across. Currently my "master" library (the one with all the original photos, metadata, Faces information etc) is on the old iMac. I have very slow internet (especially upload) and this library file is large (120Gb) and took me literally weeks to upload into iCloud.
Apple's solution is that I just give the new iMac my iCloud details and let it download the library from the cloud onto the new device. Whilst I can do this it will likely ruin my internet for a long period of time. I tried copying the library file to the new computer, but when I launch Photos it brings up a message essentially saying that I don't have enough iCloud storage to upload my library (120Gb + 120Gb = more than my 200Gb iCloud plan). Not to mention uploading this library will take even longer than downloading it! Given that the library file is identical to the previous one, is there any way of tricking Photos (or iCloud) into thinking everything is already in sync and just letting me get on with my day? The other advantage of this would be that I won't lose all my Faces data, as this doesn't sync (until High Sierra) and that took me hours to do.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Ever thought of backing up to an external SSD? Would solve your problem,as you will have your photos accessible withouth internet connection.

BeachDuc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
Ever thought of backing up to an external SSD? Would solve your problem,as you will have your photos accessible withouth internet connection.

The main library is available on my old iMac, regardless of internet connection. I like having the iCloud sync as an off-site backup (there is not much else in my house that would be irreplaceable in the event of a fire) and to give me access to my photos on my phone and tablet etc.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
The main library is available on my old iMac, regardless of internet connection. I like having the iCloud sync as an off-site backup (there is not much else in my house that would be irreplaceable in the event of a fire) and to give me access to my photos on my phone and tablet etc.
Nothing wrong with using iCloud,but who said you cannot also have an external drive? Would at least save storage on your new Mac.

BeachDuc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
Nothing wrong with using iCloud,but who said you cannot also have an external drive? Would at least save storage on your new Mac.

Sure, though storage isn't the issue. The issue is the time I will have to spend with severely throttled internet (which was not good to start with) while my libraries re-sync.

BeachDuc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
I have in and copied the Library across. I've had to 'upgrade' my iCloud tier but it seems to be got a lot faster than I was fearing. I'm up to about 10%. I think it is just checking my new iMac library against the cloud, rather than uploading or downloading. I do seem to have kept all my metadata.

BeachDuc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2014
NSW Australia
Syncing to external drives don't affect internet connections. I use several,for different types of files.

Thank you for trying to help, but I don't think I have properly explained my issue. I have no problem with storing my files, and have several external HDD that I could use. My issue is that the new iMac insists on trying to synchronise the Photos library with iCloud, despite the fact it is exactly the same library I spent 4 weeks synchronising on my old iMac and I was hoping to avoid going through that again.

As it stands, I have a feeling this might be a one or two night job, rather than a month.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Thank you for trying to help, but I don't think I have properly explained my issue. I have no problem with storing my files, and have several external HDD that I could use. My issue is that the new iMac insists on trying to synchronise the Photos library with iCloud, despite the fact it is exactly the same library I spent 4 weeks synchronising on my old iMac and I was hoping to avoid going through that again.

As it stands, I have a feeling this might be a one or two night job, rather than a month.
Move files to external,then load from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.