Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I'm having a couple issues accessing my photos via the USB on my laptop - issues which are never seen with another external storage device.

1) Lengthy delay before I can even see the preview thumbnails of the files

2) Copy process from my iPhone to my laptop abruptly stops for no apparent reason. I was previously told I had to reset my WiFi networks on my iPhone to fix this. I did that and now I'm seeing the problem again.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
1. There are many ways to move photos/videos to another computer. Either use apps such as Dropbox, Google Photos etc to have them upload to the cloud to be accessed using the PC laptop and download them.

2. Install the latest iTunes. Connect your iPhone and allow the connection on the device. If you do not allow, trust and authenticate your device passcode, Windows will not see your connected device. On PC, search and launch Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus controller (aka USB) and locate Apple Mobile Device USB driver. Right-click it and update it by selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software" because Windows may be using the older driver from 2017 than the 2018 driver. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

3. If you are using Windows 10, you will not see preview because the extension is not included. You need to download the extension called "HEIF Image Extensions" by Microsoft from the Microsoft Store app. Windows 10 does have this copy issue when you're transferring large amount of files the transfer speed may hit 0 and it will stall. To fix this, search and launch "Turn Windows features on or off" and uncheck "Remote Differential Compression API Support" and hit "OK"

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Apple error copying file.JPG

[doublepost=1556731721][/doublepost]
1. There are many ways to move photos/videos to another computer. Either use apps such as Dropbox, Google Photos etc to have them upload to the cloud to be accessed using the PC laptop and download them.

2. Install the latest iTunes. Connect your iPhone and allow the connection on the device. If you do not allow, trust and authenticate your device passcode, Windows will not see your connected device. On PC, search and launch Device Manager, expand the Universal Serial Bus controller (aka USB) and locate Apple Mobile Device USB driver. Right-click it and update it by selecting "Search automatically for updated driver software" because Windows may be using the older driver from 2017 than the 2018 driver. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

3. If you are using Windows 10, you will not see preview because the extension is not included. You need to download the extension called "HEIF Image Extensions" by Microsoft from the Microsoft Store app. Windows 10 does have this copy issue when you're transferring large amount of files the transfer speed may hit 0 and it will stall. To fix this, search and launch "Turn Windows features on or off" and uncheck "Remote Differential Compression API Support" and hit "OK"
I prefer to use drag & drop. Do you think the last part of #3 might be why these drag & drops stop abruptly for no apparent reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.