Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tessx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2016
USA
I've always had the dock and menu bar enabled as translucent in previous OSXs. With this 10.11.5 version I cannot find the option to make my dock bar and menu bar translucent. In a google search I read that the pop-up Desktop & Screen Saver menu had an option at the bottom of the window to enable Translucent Menu Bar but it does not show that as an option in my Desktop & Screensaver pop up window - it shows only toggle options for Change Picture and Random Order. Thanks!

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Try System Preferences > Accessibility > Display. Make sure Reduce transparency is unchecked.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Menu transparency isn't what it used to be. I always turned it off.

There are some extra Finder and Dock options you can change with the Onyx app. Transparency isn't one of them.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You're not seeing that checkbox/setting anymore because it's the default now if your computer's graphics card supports it.

As already stated, you can visit the Accessibility preferences to "reduce transparency" but even that isn't going to completely turn it off.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Yea I think they changed that option in order to improve speed on older (non retina macs)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.