Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I fly alot, due to the fact that I am English but live in the US.

Anyways, I like to travel with both my 15" Powerbook and my Digital Rebel XT. Previously that hasn't been a problem as I can take book my camera bag and laptop bag as carry on.

The problem now is that with the latest security restrictions, I am limited to one carry on bag and there is no way I would check either of those two items.

So, the question is this. Can anyone recommend me a bag that can hold both a 15" laptop and a DSLR and be small enough for carry on bagagge.

Also, I would prefer a shoulder/messenger style bag rather than a backpack.
(I have seen the Tamrac Photo Messenger 9, but was wondering if there are others)

Thanks

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If you are traveling, I think non-camera-bag-look bag would be a better choice. I have the Crumpler Karachi which does not look like a camera bag. The last thing I want is an unwanted attention from the thieves while traveling in unfamiliar places.
The Canon camera bag would be like a big neon sign I am carrying expensive camera goods.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I travel with the Lowepro Computrekker quite often. I haul a 15 macbook with a eos 1N and two lenses and strobe. Plus all the usual stuff, coiled cord, CF cards, cleaning cloth etc. It fits nicely under the seat in a plane and holds a book passport and other stuff nicely.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
So, the question is this. Can anyone recommend me a bag that can hold both a 15" laptop and a DSLR and be small enough for carry on bagagge.

You haven't given us much to go on in regards to the camera kit.

- How many lenses do you think that you will end up with in the end?

- Will you buy an accessory flash?

I understand your concerns though. I have been on the hunt for a perfect "UK" bag since the ease up on restrictions on carry-on bags for UK flights.

You may want to look at messenger bags that aim to carry a laptop first, and other items second. One can always use a camera "wrap" to place the camera in this type of bag. This is the approach that I am leaning towards with my D200 with the 18-200VR.

Though in my case I am looking in making an REI sling bag work for me. I switched to the Epson P-2000 for photo storage, instead of lugging my PB 12" with me.

When I need access to the net, I just find an internet cafe.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
You haven't given us much to go on in regards to the camera kit.

- How many lenses do you think that you will end up with in the end?

- Will you buy an accessory flash?

I understand your concerns though. I have been on the hunt for a perfect "UK" bag since the ease up on restrictions on carry-on bags for UK flights.

You may want to look at messenger bags that aim to carry a laptop first, and other items second. One can always use a camera "wrap" to place the camera in this type of bag. This is the approach that I am leaning towards with my D200 with the 18-200VR.

Though in my case I am looking in making an REI sling bag work for me. I switched to the Epson P-2000 for photo storage, instead of lugging my PB 12" with me.

When I need access to the net, I just find an internet cafe.

Not a huge kit, one body and up to 3 lenses.

I thought about just putting my camera in my current laptop messenger bag but I'm worried about damaging it. I suppose I could wrap my camera is something to protect it.

I was also looking at the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW. Unfortunately according to current UK travel rules it is 3cm too big in one of the dimensions. Although I am sure I could sneak it through.

Any thoughts?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If your airports use a frame to determine whether it's carry-on size or not, then you might need to worry. Otherwise, i wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not sure how strictly they examine each bag's dimensions in the UK right, though, so don't take my word on it.

I have a Crumpler Sinking Barge, and I think that the "Customary Barge" would work for you. I didn't recommend a bag for you the 1st time I visited this thread because you said you didn't want a backpack. However, I'm going to recommend a backpack now that I'm not the first one to do so. :p

I'll back Failsafe's recommendation of the Lowepro CompuRover. It seems to be a great backpack. My friend has a Tamron Adventure 9, and it feels much cheaper than my Crumpler Sinking Barge. The Lowepro is a bit better than the Tamrac, although I don't own it and don't know anyone who does (I've only played with it in a store). The only reason I don't recommend the Crumpler is because there might not be enough space for your lenses, although I'm not sure what you plan to carry. I can carry my Nikon D50 + a somewhat large lens attached, and another lens in case. No space for an external flash or any large-sized lenses.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If your airports use a frame to determine whether it's carry-on size or not, then you might need to worry. Otherwise, i wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not sure how strictly they examine each bag's dimensions in the UK right, though, so don't take my word on it.

My thought is that the bag is flexible so it will give a little, especially if the laptop is not in there, which it wont be as it has to go through security separately.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Not a huge kit, one body and up to 3 lenses.

Which three lenses?

I thought about just putting my camera in my current laptop messenger bag but I'm worried about damaging it. I suppose I could wrap my camera is something to protect it.

I was also looking at the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW. Unfortunately according to current UK travel rules it is 3cm too big in one of the dimensions. Although I am sure I could sneak it through.

Any thoughts?

About the first thought, that is my thinking for myself.

As to your second thought, even the 550 seems to be "too big" according to BA standards.

Keep in mind most bag measurements are with a bag packed full. Either the 650 or 550 would meet BA's demands carry-on if they were not packed full.

If you are willing to look at backpack designs, then there are two bags from Think Tank Photo that may work. The Airport Acceleration and the Airport Antidote(see: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/).

The neat thing about the Antidote is that it is small enough to fit CRJ type aircraft overhead bins. Have seen these bags in my store, if I felt a real need to travel with my laptop - either of these two bags would be a must buy on my list! They even gave me pause on not taking my laptop with me.

What is really cool about the Antidote is that it is seems to a perfect fit to the Pelican 1510 hard case if we are ever forced to check in our bags in the UK, like we did this past year!

These two bags I mentioned aside; I would recommend that any one looking for a camera bag, look at what Think Tank offers. They take the "ground up" approach, and try to design bags that work for working photographers.

When my shop (Penn Camera) first carried the brand - I bought a Speed Freak bag. It has been one of the bags I use most for general shooting. I only go to some of my other bags when I want a more low profile "look".

I just hope that Think Tank comes up with a messenger style bag that equals their commitment to "usability" that their current lineup has shown.

Sorry if I seem to be gushing on the Think Tank bags. But they do seem to work from the "ground up". Meeting the needs of real world photographers.

I have been told that new designs are given to "real photographers"; before they are released to the general public. If this is true, then we all benefit in some great designs.

Regards,

Chip

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
I have travelled quite a lot recently around the world, and I found out that a camera actually counts seperately on the hand luggage. So I just carry my 20D seperately, and put it in the overhad locker - no problems

No help with the camera / laptop bag though, and I would be interested in something similar also.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
I travel with the Lowepro Computrekker quite often. I haul a 15 macbook with a eos 1N and two lenses and strobe. Plus all the usual stuff, coiled cord, CF cards, cleaning cloth etc. It fits nicely under the seat in a plane and holds a book passport and other stuff nicely.

I also travel extensively with this bag. I would highly recommend it. Lots of padding and storage. I had to got to a backpack so I could tote around a telephoto lens and a fair bit of gear. This bag is comfortable and sturdy enough to wear when I snowboard around the mountain in winter.
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/CompuTrekker_AW.aspx
You said that you would prefer a shoulder bag, I personally know of any that fit your requirements.

Orge

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2004
The Crumpler Daily bags may be an option:
http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/crumpler21.htm

The 490 and 600 are prob your best bets. I'm currently trying to find out whether a 15" G4 powerbook fits in the laptop pouch of the 490 - it's pretty tight. The 600 is plenty big enough though.

Hope that helps,

James

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The Crumpler Daily bags may be an option:
http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/crumpler21.htm

The 490 and 600 are prob your best bets. I'm currently trying to find out whether a 15" G4 powerbook fits in the laptop pouch of the 490 - it's pretty tight. The 600 is plenty big enough though.

Hope that helps,

James

They look great, I cant seem to find them available in the US though.

Orge

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2004
They look great, I cant seem to find them available in the US though.

Sorry, the US line is the same as the Australian one...

IYou might be able to put something similar together with one of the messenger/laptop bags and "the bucket" photo insert?

BU02a would probably be enough, fits in:
The Western Lawn
The Barney Rustle Blanket
The Dreadful Embarrassment

Check out the crumpler website, if you can figure it out!! :)

J

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Which three lenses?

About the first thought, that is my thinking for myself.

As to your second thought, even the 550 seems to be "too big" according to BA standards.

Keep in mind most bag measurements are with a bag packed full. Either the 650 or 550 would meet BA's demands carry-on if they were not packed full.

If you are willing to look at backpack designs, then there are two bags from Think Tank Photo that may work. The Airport Acceleration and the Airport Antidote(see: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/).

The neat thing about the Antidote is that it is small enough to fit CRJ type aircraft overhead bins. Have seen these bags in my store, if I felt a real need to travel with my laptop - either of these two bags would be a must buy on my list! They even gave me pause on not taking my laptop with me.

What is really cool about the Antidote is that it is seems to a perfect fit to the Pelican 1510 hard case if we are ever forced to check in our bags in the UK, like we did this past year!

These two bags I mentioned aside; I would recommend that any one looking for a camera bag, look at what Think Tank offers. They take the "ground up" approach, and try to design bags that work for working photographers.

When my shop (Penn Camera) first carried the brand - I bought a Speed Freak bag. It has been one of the bags I use most for general shooting. I only go to some of my other bags when I want a more low profile "look".

I just hope that Think Tank comes up with a messenger style bag that equals their commitment to "usability" that their current lineup has shown.

Sorry if I seem to be gushing on the Think Tank bags. But they do seem to work from the "ground up". Meeting the needs of real world photographers.

I have been told that new designs are given to "real photographers"; before they are released to the general public. If this is true, then we all benefit in some great designs.

Regards,

Chip
The bags from Think Tank seem very nice as you have commented in your post. I would consider buying one of their bags for my next bag purchase.

It would be a difficult choice to pick among the Airport Acceleration, the Airport Antidote, and the Airport Addicted. It appears Airport Addicted is the largest while Acceleration and Anitdote seem to be the same size.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I use Pelican cases. What you are asking for is a "transport case" not a camera bag for working out of. I make a distinction between transporting gear and using gear. for transport Pelican makes a box that was wheels, a handle and fits inside the airline's caryone size limits. Gear packed inside one of these will withstand some very rough handling. You can buy a light padded bag, put the caera gear in the bag and then the bag into the case and then just not worry about it.

I do some underwater photography. When my camera gear is inside the case I don't need to watch what bagage handlers do to it. I've let then but it into the back of a stake bed truck and pile compressed air cylinders, moving dollies and lead weights on top and drive over bumps. When the stuff is backed in a soft bag you have to be carful of it, not to bump, drop or leave it in the rain. With a case these is one less thing to worry about

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
The bags from Think Tank seem very nice as you have commented in your post. I would consider buying one of their bags for my next bag purchase.

It would be a difficult to choice to pick among the Airport Acceleration, the Airport Antidote, and the Airport Addicted. It appears Airport Addicted is the largest while Acceleration and Anitdote seem to be the same size.

The Airport Antidote seems to be the best size for those that want the best of "all worlds" - something that meets CRJ space as well as meeting the needs of the photographer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.