Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenn97444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
i am going to start doing more travel. My main computer is a newer iMac with 5k display. I will be traveling to destinations with 4K and 5k iMac displays. I am using Adobe CC so I can only have 2 IPs for apps. My question is, would I be better off with a MacBook Pro, or Mac Mini to travel with?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
MacBook Pro.

Much easier to carry since the mini is very thick and heavy, and you can do still while on the go, if needed.

Plus, the current Mini has 2014 hardware making it a poor buy in 2017, plus it's only dual-core.

You might be interested in a 2015 15" MBP since you'll get quad-core CPU, 16 GB of RAM, and it isn't too expensive.

Jenn97444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
Thanks for your input. At this point that does seem like the best choice. Here is my main concern; Being that Adobe cc apps only allow 2 IPs for apps, I only have one more download which would be the new laptop. If I share screens with my iMac, will there be any degradation? I work a lot in Photoshop and need to see fine detail. For the most part I would be sharing screens 5k to 5k but I may also need to share with a 4K monitor. Is that even possible and if so, what will the quality be?

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
What is your worry about Adobe cc? It's a subscription service, so you can activate it and deactivate it pretty seamlessly when you need it. At least that's what I see my wife doing between her iMac and MacBook Air, and my mac mini if she's working on it. Worst case it will ask you to reset the installs, and you'll have to log in again (provided you don't do this 25 times in a day and have it running at the same time on 10 computers or something).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I like the 2015 models as well.
Since you'll be traveling, you might have more of a need for the "legacy ports" than do others...

Jenn97444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
I understood you can only install on 2 computers. I'll have to check that out.
[doublepost=1486319494][/doublepost]You are absolutely right! Problem solved. Thank you so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.