Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Hello all, I am headed to Thailand and I have a question for you. My D80's battery charger, the MH-18a: can it be used in Thailand. I know that the Thai electricity is somewhere around 220v, and the back of the charger says: "Input: 110-240v," but can the cable handle the higher voltage?

Tangotom

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
You will be ok...I had my D80 in Dubai for over 6 months and they have same voltage...charger worked just fine. Enjoy the trip.
TT

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello all, I am headed to Thailand and I have a question for you. My D80's battery charger, the MH-18a: can it be used in Thailand. I know that the Thai electricity is somewhere around 220v, and the back of the charger says: "Input: 110-240v," but can the cable handle the higher voltage?

The cable will actually be over spec'd with the higher voltage. The "worst case" for the cable is 110V here in the US. What the cable cares about is current not voltage and current is inversely proportional to voltage. The power cord will see about 1/2 of current when you double the volts.

The next question is "Will the plug fit?" I don't know.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not going to charge the battery unless absolutely necessary. One thing I like about the D80 and other Nikons are the long-lasting batteries. The actual plug over in Thailand can accommodate the US plug, as well as European plugs. I guess I will be fine! Thanks again!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Should be no problem -- I've charged my D80 battery in Australia, Fiji, and China without issues -- all 220 countries. Australia and Fiji required an adapter to fit the plug (no transformer used though), China I could just plug it straight in.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Or... you could just get a battery grip. Link. That's what I'm doing for my trip to Costa Rica.

I'd still bring a backup system of some sort -- with VR lenses, the occasional onboard flash use, and the quantity of pictures I am capable of taking in two weeks, I am definitely capable of killing more than two batteries on a two week vacation.

I'd hate to get caught part way through a trip and no longer be able to use my D80! I know the battery grip can use AA's, but I would consider that emergency last resort (by virtue of the cost of batteries in places I've traveled to).

After relying on the power bricks to charge my D80, camcorder, and MacBook on several trips now, I'm pretty comfortable with the concept; the plug adapter is inexpensive and takes almost no space in a suitcase -- I couldn't see traveling without it, even if I didn't expect to use it.

tibbon

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
You'll be fine. It's an auto-switching power supply transformer than can deal with almost anything you feed into it. Seriously, you'll be fine. Feel free to charge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.