Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
On some laptops, if one is reinstalling the OS, or installing for the first time, it is wise to boot up a Linux distribution and run blkdiscard on the internal SSD. This fires off a TRIM on every accessible sector of the drive, which is good in the long run.

For a new early 2015 13" rMBP, is this something that would be needed, or does the OS X TRIM support, as well as the drive controller's background GC task take care of this adequately?

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
OS X will handle this automatically if it's the factory SSD from Apple, so you don,t have to do anything.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
TRIM is only recommended for third-party drives. The Apple SSDs are self maintaining.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I should have been clearer. For a new rMBP, would it be beneficial to boot OS media like a Linux CD, TRIM the onboard SSD completely (which in effect blanks the entire thing including the recovery partition), then reinstall the OS and entire recovery?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I should have been clearer. For a new rMBP, would it be beneficial to boot OS media like a Linux CD, TRIM the onboard SSD completely (which in effect blanks the entire thing including the recovery partition), then reinstall the OS and entire recovery?
No. I understand where you are coming from, but with a new drive like this, I don't see how it would be of any benefit. What you are describing may be of some benefit on and older drive that had written to quite a bit without TRIM active though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlts22

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

No it's a new rMBP the SSD has just had the OS added and thats it, there is nothing to clean up.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing this, and you'll needlessly rack up some P/E cycles doing this.

Being that it's the factory-supplied SSD we're talking about here, all you should really do is let the OS do its job and stop worrying about it.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Thank you. I always have a habit of wiping drives thoroughly (and doing a blkdiscard on the entire SSD) before use. Looks like this isn't needed with this type of machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.