Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello all,
I recently upgraded my iMac from is basic specs to more appealing ones by adding an SSD and upgraded RAM.
I am just now learning about what TRIM is (somewhat) and that OS X does not allow it to be on drives that are not Apple OEM.
I would like to know what not enabling TRIM on my SSD (SanDisk UltraII 480GB) will do to its performance?

Also, is there any way to enable support of the third party drive? Is there a list somewhere of which drives are known to be compatible?

Regards,
JG

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Well, in a nutshell, TRIM can increase the lifespan of your SSD by reducing write operations and retain its speed as the disk gets filled with data. TRIM helps your SSD to handle stale data more efficiently and effectively.

There is no list of supported devices, but I haven’t heard of any problems either. There were some problems with Samsung SSDs on computers with a Linux operating system, but that was a bug in the Linux kernel and not related to OS X. You should enable the new native TRIM driver in Yosemite 10.10.4 or El Capitan.

Terminal:
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

You will get a lengthy disclaimer. Afterwards you need to reboot.

Reactions: jgelin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.