Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oddssodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
I have a 2012 iMac i7. High Sierra
It has an aftermarket ssd. Evo 850 I think.

I made the mistake of trying to enable trim.

terminal command “sudo trimforce enable”

now the computer won’t boot. I get the Apple over grey. Progress bar starts fine and then slows. It gets to the end and sits there.

I can’t get it to boot into safe or recovery.

Attachments

• AC3129E6-26B3-4BE8-BA84-FC7EBC014FCB.jpeg
    AC3129E6-26B3-4BE8-BA84-FC7EBC014FCB.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 155

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Do you have another Mac to use in order to try Target Disk Mode? If you do, you can try turning off TRIM "sudo trimforce disable". You can do the same with a bootable external hard drive. I have no experience with an EVO SSD but some third party SSDs are not compatible with that command, and some others already have TRIM built in.

Oddssodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Do you have another Mac to use in order to try Target Disk Mode? If you do, you can try turning off TRIM "sudo trimforce disable". You can do the same with a bootable external hard drive. I have no experience with an EVO SSD but some third party SSDs are not compatible with that command, and some others already have TRIM built in.

If you put the the machine in target mode. How to you direct the terminal command to effect the drive that was t used to boot from?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm not sure if it will work which is why I said try turning it off from the other Mac. It won't do any harm by issuing the command to turn it off. The same for booting from an external hard drive. Worst scenario is that you may have to open up the 2012 iMac and remove the EVO. That's more difficult but may be what you will eventually have to do. Maybe someone else will have a better solution for you.

Oddssodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
I had another computer, with a bootable external drive. I added it on to my computer, option booted into it, and then disabled trimforce.

SUCCESS!! Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.