Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohnostopgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
I posted about triple booting ages ago, but never went ahead. Now I'd like to give it a try. Very interested to hear from anyone who got all three to play nice on a Mac.

I have a Mac Mini 2012 with an upgraded 1TB SSD drive. Currently it is running Yosemite and bootcamp Win10 Pro, which work great but I miss my Linux. Been using CentOS on another laptop, but really what I'd like is my Mac with three OS partitions and a fourth one for shared data that all of them can access.

I understand the main problem with triple booting is that Windows can't handle enough partitions on a drive, and if I can get the windows partition up to the front instead of OSX, all should be well. Is that right?

Can I use gparted or some other tool to drag and drop the existing partitions? I can run it off a Ubuntu live usb. Seems like I should try to have Windows, then the storage partition, then OSX, then Linux, with each OS's recovery and swap partitions next to it. If I only create the CentOS partition after the others are in place, it gives me some working space on the drive.

Or, I already have the installers for all 3 OS on usb. Can I manually partition the drive 4 ways in OSX recovery and install them by booting off the usbs? Sure I'd have to download the bootcamp drivers for windows, but is anything else wrong with that plan?

I don't mind losing my existing OS installs, but I want to know I've got some chance of success before I spend all day.

About VMs, yes I have tried and they are easy to set up, but the lag is still annoying. Maybe I'm oversensitive about that, but I'd rather get a triple boot working if I can.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The disk partition limit is MBR not Windows, If you EFI install Windows on a GPT disk the limitation goes away. To me that means installing Windows without bootcamp as it simulates BIOS.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
The disk partition limit is MBR not Windows, If you EFI install Windows on a GPT disk the limitation goes away. To me that means installing Windows without bootcamp as it simulates BIOS.
Good advice. Also System Integrity Protection (SIP) has to be turned off in El Capitan because otherwise Linux and Windows (non-Bootcamp installation) will not be bootable.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Good advice. Also System Integrity Protection (SIP) has to be turned off in El Capitan because otherwise Linux and Windows (non-Bootcamp installation) will not be bootable.

I you can disable SIP but I think it's reset with an PRAM reset. If I were in your shoes I'd pick the two that I really need installed on bare metal and virtualize the third.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.