Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
We are planning on buying a tripod for a friend for his birthday. He has a Canon Rebel and some run of the mill lenses. Our budget is around $100 for the tripod and the head, can anybody recommend one?

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Sorry to not answer your question, but your post made me think of a question I have about the tripod. I am under the impression that the tripod is for holding the camera steady. Why do they make 20$ tripods and 300$ tripods. What is the point of spending 100$ or more?

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
A $20 tripod is usually junk and not too steady.

I'd recommend something from amvona.com through ebay.

I have a carbon fiber tripod from them and had a nice aluminum one, but I found it too heavy. Pair it with a bogen head or try for one of their tripod sets.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sorry to not answer your question, but your post made me think of a question I have about the tripod. I am under the impression that the tripod is for holding the camera steady. Why do they make 20$ tripods and 300$ tripods. What is the point of spending 100$ or more?

I guess you could ask the same question about cameras too. They make $120 cameras and they make $2,400 camera. What do you get for the extra $2200?

Back to tripods... cheap ones are not very sturdy and not strong enough to stand up to years of use. The betterons will last a lifetime, have replaceable parts and are very ridgid. The very best ones do all this and are also light weight.

About which to buy for $100. This is an price that is in-between. The best tripods cost more but for $100 you can eliminate most of the junk. Look at Bogen/Manoffroto. One of the light weight Bogens with a simple pan/tilt head

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
About which to buy for $100. This is an price that is in-between. The best tripods cost more but for $100 you can eliminate most of the junk. Look at Bogen/Manoffroto. One of the light weight Bogens with a simple pan/tilt head
Thanks for the info. I checked and saw Bogen Manfrotto 725B for $110. It supposedly includes the head as well, but I cannot tell if the head can tilt as well as pan. Any ideas?

Here are the links I found to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrot...s_2/102-5184313-9689718?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&kw=BO725B&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=428998

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
If you're looking for a basic tripod, Sunpak, Slik, and Velbon make some good ones. Search Amazon.

I can personally recommend this one. Very good tripod, I use it with a Digital Rebel XT.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I would recommend TiltAll they are $89 with camera mount from B&H and include a removable leg that can be used as a monopod

enigma51

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
The best tripod is the heaviest tripod your wife or girlfriend is willing to carry! :)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
The best tripod is the heaviest tripod your wife or girlfriend is willing to carry! :)
Well, I was under the impression that it is the other way around. In any case, I don't think he is dating anybody right now. :)

enigma51

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
Well, I was under the impression that it is the other way around. In any case, I don't think he is dating anybody right now. :)

Either way does not really matter as long as the "artist" don't have to deal with carrying the dam thing! :)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
"Originally Posted by enigma51
The best tripod is the heaviest tripod your wife or girlfriend is willing to carry!"

I'm trying to work that one out. I've settled on: "The best wife is the heaviest girlfriend your tripod (monopod?) is willing to carry." :) I disagree but each to their own.

On the purchase, I've seen some carbon-fiber legged, Gitzo knock-offs, that looked like just the ticket. Light enough to carry, stiff enough to be steady (especially if you hang some weight on it). I forget the brand, but look at the Gitzos, then go out and look for the no-name brands that look the same--probably made in the same factory but without the ad budget, pro-premium.

enigma51

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2006
On a serious note when selecting a tripod look for something that have smooth movement at small adjustments. 90% of the time you need a tripod for a foto is when you will need to make a small adjustment either up down or left right and a non smooth adjustment is slightly annoying O yes almost forgot this is for a friend and if you only want to spend a 100 get him whatever you can find! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.