Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I've got a Powershot S3 IS camera, and I really would love a tripod for it, the one I used to have broke, and I've yet to replace it.

Any tips/links to perspective tripods would be nice :).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've got a Powershot S3 IS camera, and I really would love a tripod for it, the one I used to have broke, and I've yet to replace it.

That's a very light camera. If you want a tripod that will last forever "Bogen" is always recommended. In your case the lightest legs will do the #3001 legs with a small three axis head. Get one of the heads that has a quick release plate. It's worth it.

The better tripod brands sell parts so if you buy a good one you will never have to replace it. if you have a bit more money Gitzo is a top brand, but I actually prefer bogen

I like the level clamps on the legs, was never a fan of th twist locks but some prefer those.

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK

Just remember that stability is directly related to bulk and therefore cost (generally speaking).

So you will have to make your decision based on how much weight you are prepared to carry, and how much you have to spend.

You really need to get into a store that has a reasonable stock so that you can judge what's right for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.