Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
(Be gentle with me, I'm still depressed that I paid what I did (can't even say the figure) a few months ago for my Canon Powershot G7 when I could have got a Nikon D40 for not a whole lot more....and would have taken my first steps in to DSLR-land. But that's ignorance for you :rolleyes:)

Any way, enough of my depression. And more of my ignorance: I've never bought a tripod and haven't a clue if there's a standard fitting for these things. I want to get a small table type tripod (sorry for the overly technical lingo :) ) or a smallish traveller-type one and have seen a whole bunch of cheap ones on sale on a European site. Are all of these likely to fit my Canon, do you think? And have you any particular recommendations?

Thanks.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
(Be gentle with me, I'm still depressed that I paid what I did (can't even say the figure) a few months ago for my Canon Powershot G7 when I could have got a Nikon D40 for not a whole lot more....and would have taken my first steps in to DSLR-land. But that's ignorance for you :rolleyes:)

Any way, enough of my depression. And more of my ignorance: I've never bought a tripod and haven't a clue if there's a standard fitting for these things. I want to get a small table type tripod (sorry for the overly technical lingo :) ) or a smallish traveller-type one and have seen a whole bunch of cheap ones on sale on a European site. Are all of these likely to fit my Canon, do you think? And have you any particular recommendations?

Thanks.

I sure like my Gorillapod Flexible Tripod. I used mine with my G9 today, and I couldn't get on the ground, but there was a nice branch from a dead bush, worked great.
gorillapod.jpg

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
For a G7 anything you listed on that site would work, ideally metal adds to endurance but also weight. The Gorillapod is excellent as well because you don't always have a flat surface to place the tripod.

If you're going to upgrade to a heavier camera in the future then get a tripod with locking nuts rather than just extending (like the photo of the TNB tripod).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.