Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Read this article:

http://bythom.com/support.htm

That will explain things better than I can, however make sure you are going to use a tripod in your photography before investing in one. In many areas tripods are required but make sure you just don't get a tripod to round out your kit.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Well......whats your budget? What are you planning to shoot?

A tripods one of those thing where usually you get what you pay for. If your just going to casually take the tripod out here and there and your careful that one will probably be OK? Ive never seen these up close.

I like Gitzo's myself but there ridiculously expensive.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
hi what do you guys think of this tripod my dad has this one I'm getting a XSI in may so what do you think for that camera good bad otherwise?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538299-REG/Sunpak_620_750BB_7500_Pro_Platinum_Tripod_with.html

Thank you
Aaron

P.S Sorry it was 1 AM when i posted it i thoght i put a link in the thread Sorry:(

The only thing I can say about that is that it has legs and a head.

Depending on what you want to shoot that would be perfect.

Duke&tank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Thank you all for your input

The price is not a concern i well save up for what i well need

I Shoot mostly photos of dogs i like to go hiking and take some when im on the trail and i want to start doing HDR photos i have photoshop CS4

that about it for now.

Aaron

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thank you all for your input

The price is not a concern i well save up for what i well need

I Shoot mostly photos of dogs i like to go hiking and take some when im on the trail and i want to start doing HDR photos i have photoshop CS4

that about it for now.

Aaron

Yeah, any tripod will do.

There are some nice ones made by Manfrotto though, for around $100-$200 bucks if you know where to look.

Fogtripper

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Yeah, any tripod will do.

No. Not for hiking. A heavy tripod will remain in the car.
What you want on a hike is a carbon fiber tripod with a removable center beam and a comfortable yet sturdy maximum height. A ball head will be a wise investment as well. Kirk Enterprises has wonderful heads.

A great CF tripod is one I researched and bought used:
Velbon Neo Carmagne 640
http://bayimages.net/tech/reviews/velbon-el-carmagne-640.html
IIRC, I found mine used on ebay for around $200.

Easily used, sturdy, skin friendly in both the cold and the heat, lightweight and quite a bit less than a Gitzo. edit: also allows for extreme low angle photos.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
No. Not for hiking. A heavy tripod will remain in the car.
What you want on a hike is a carbon fiber tripod with a removable center beam and a comfortable yet sturdy maximum height. A ball head will be a wise investment as well. Kirk Enterprises has wonderful heads.

A great CF tripod is one I researched and bought used:
Velbon Neo Carmagne 640
http://bayimages.net/tech/reviews/velbon-el-carmagne-640.html
IIRC, I found mine used on ebay for around $200.

Easily used, sturdy, skin friendly in both the cold and the heat, lightweight and quite a bit less than a Gitzo.

True, but I figured since his first choice was a standard run of the mill, he'd be okay with the weight.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Here is the deal with tripods. They're an investment. You will undoubtedly go through at least one other tripod before you actually own up to the fact that you need to invest in a good sturdy tripod suited for a camera you don't even own. If you're going to start with an XSI then you will likely outgrow the camera, buy something heavier and learn to adopt new lenses. Maybe you'll move into your hikes and decide to capture birds. You'll need a long lens. That tripod you linked is rather unsuitable for a long long lens.

The tripod you linked will be fine for now. The tripod you linked will eventually be replaced.

If you're hiking then the reduction of weight with carbon fiber will undoubtedly be great but you'll still be carrying some weight, that is what photography does. Lenses, batteries, bags, etc. It's all like that.

Again, to me a tripod is an investment ... I have one that is decent but not epic. It's suitable for my needs and a few steps above that. The downside is it is heavy and adds quite a bit of weight when I walk around with it.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Sorry about my reply in the other thread - I wasn't being very helpful!

I will reiterate what Jessica said. It is very likely, if you continue on in photography, that you will want to upgrade to something more sturdy. Tripods are something that are timeless. Get something really good now, and you will probably never have to get another one.

I suggest Manfrotto, and I suggest secondhand. There's pretty much not much that can go wrong with good tripods, even really old ones. I've bought all my large Manfrotto tripods secondhand, and they were all great.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
If I did a lot of hiking, I'd get a Gitzo carbon fiber. I'm partial to their Explorer line, mainly because of the arm that can be either a center post, or a macro arm.

26635572.jpg

In the case of really good tripods, don't forget that you also have to make a decision about a head. Most of the really good ball heads are expensive too, not to mention the quick-release plate you need on your camera.

/

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Take a look at some of the advice I got in this thread. Ended up with a combo I'm really enjoying using.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/633437/

hi what do you guys think of this tripod my dad has this one I'm getting a XSI in may so what do you think for that camera good bad otherwise?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538299-REG/Sunpak_620_750BB_7500_Pro_Platinum_Tripod_with.html

Thank you
Aaron

P.S Sorry it was 1 AM when i posted it i thoght i put a link in the thread Sorry:(

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If I did a lot of hiking, I'd get a Gitzo carbon fiber. I'm partial to their Explorer line, mainly because of the arm that can be either a center post, or a macro arm.

I have an explorer and use it all the time for macro. I bought for just that purpose. The only issue I have with it is that the bolts that hold the three handles that tighten the legs are NOT hardened and the first one I purchased I used once or twice and the bolt snapped. The one I exchanged for has been good for a couple of years.

One thing you usually also get with a nicer tripod like a Gitzo or Benbo or Manfrotto is a lifetime warranty, so as long as you dont abuse it too much, if it does break you can send it in to get fixed.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi what do you guys think of this tripod.....

What are yu going to put on top of it? What are you shooting? What subject?

Equipment like this is not good or bad it is either well matched to your needs or not. For example this would not be so good for shooting wildlife ith a 400mm lens, nor would it work well for shooting wildflowers with a macro lens outdoors (as it looks to have a rather tall minimum height)

In most cases ANY tripod is better than none so if you have none now this is 100 times better.

Apr 10, 2007
go to your local camera shop, don't look at the prices of the tripods and try your camera with its heaviest lens out on a few tripods, find one that you like and thats stable then check the price, then leave (or if you have some sort of mobile internet) compare the price to what you can get online, and buy it at the place you think has the best deal.

Doesn't matter what the price is, if its $50 and your happy with it then buy it, same if its $500+ (may have to save for that).

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Thank you all for your input im thinking about this head

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=9&cat=1&page=1

what do you think?
I'm still looking at the tripod body's i haven't diced what too get yet for that.

Thank you all
Aaron

Look at Kirk or Really Right Stuff too. With Kirk, look and see if the BH-3 might suit you better than a BH-1.

Acratech makes a pretty highly regarded ballhead. Personally, if I were getting a hiking tripod I'd be looking hard at the Kirk BH-3 - it's smaller, lighter, and $100 cheaper.

Duke&tank

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Thank you all for the input i like kirk BH - 3 it Looks like a nice choice thank you and SUPERSTEVE9219 that a good idea thank you i well have to do that

Aaron

Fogtripper

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Thank you all for your input im thinking about this head

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=9&cat=1&page=1

what do you think?
I'm still looking at the tripod body's i haven't diced what too get yet for that.

Thank you all
Aaron

"Our new Acratech GV2 Ballhead is uniquely designed to function both as a ballhead and as a Gimbal head."

I am scratching my head (no pun intended) how this would be different from say, a Kirk head? In regards to the "gimbal" use.

I use a Kirk and it seems to do pretty much all the acratech claims:
http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheads.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.