Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just bought a set of Bogen/Manfrotto tripod legs that came with a fluid video head on them. I'd like to replace it with a photo head, but am unsure of whether or not all Bogen/Manfrotto heads will fit these legs. I'm interested in the lightweight mini head 484RC2, which appears to have a much smaller diameter than the top of my tripod legs:

11f6810ae7a012c318f7d110.L._AA258_.jpg

^^^ Will that little thing fit any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I'm not sure if they've changed anything over the years (you haven't mentioned which tripod you have), but you might try their "configurator" to see if that combo works.

FWIW, this head has a smaller diameter than the tripod I've got (055XPROB), but is compatible.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
There seem to be two sizes of tripod screw (to join head to legs). I recently swapped the head of one tripod for a head with a pistol grip. To 'marry' them together I needed a little 'bush' (about a $) that effectively makes the screw a larger size. It works fine...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
There seem to be two sizes of tripod screw (to join head to legs). I recently swapped the head of one tripod for a head with a pistol grip. To 'marry' them together I needed a little 'bush' (about a $) that effectively makes the screw a larger size. It works fine...

On many, if not most modern leg sets, the screw that mates the head to the legs is reversible, so it covers both sizes of screw by simply removing it completely and installing it upside-down.

Paul

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for the replies. According to the configurator, the legs (190B) will work with that head. I just decided to try removing the fluid video head and was amazed at how easy it was to get it off. I see now that the screws beneath the head don't really seem to go anywhere. I'm not even sure what they loosen, but at least now I know I don't have to worry about them aligning with anything on the head.

Thanks again!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks for the replies. <snip> I see now that the screws beneath the head don't really seem to go anywhere. I'm not even sure what they loosen, but at least now I know I don't have to worry about them aligning with anything on the head.

Thanks again!

I just picked up a monopod and a 488 ball head, both from Manfrotto. The guide said that the small screws under the tripod head are locking screws. When the head is on you tighten them and they keep the base of the ball head from rotating. Mine has a plate with degree marks for pano shots. The set screws would lock the head base and allow the head itself to rotate.

Excuse me for being visual.

Dale

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 138

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, I picked up the tripod head today, and it is indeed smaller than the top of my tripod legs. It screwed right on without any adapter of any kind, but the screws going up from the legs do not meet with the head and do nothing to tighten it. I'll test it out for a while and see how it goes.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Craig's List is a good deal, but I have always had the urge to handle things before I part with my cash. My local camera shop had about 30 heads to look at. I picked the "midi ball" 488 because it was more substantial. With it in hand, $150 USD didn't seem too high. I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, we just seem to have been doing the same things lately.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Craig's List is a good deal, but I have always had the urge to handle things before I part with my cash. My local camera shop had about 30 heads to look at. I picked the "midi ball" 488 because it was more substantial. With it in hand, $150 USD didn't seem too high. I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, we just seem to have been doing the same things lately.

Dale

I was attracted to the light weight of the mini version, since I travel a lot and need to be mindful of airline luggage allowances. But now I'm thinking I'll probably say the heck with it and just get a grip-action head in a few months. I'll try this one out for a while, though. If it doesn't drive me nuts, maybe I'll stick with it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I was attracted to the light weight of the mini version, since I travel a lot and need to be mindful of airline luggage allowances. But now I'm thinking I'll probably say the heck with it and just get a grip-action head in a few months. I'll try this one out for a while, though. If it doesn't drive me nuts, maybe I'll stick with it.

I envy you for all your travels. The mid size head is heavy, about 460 grams and will hold 6 kilos. I like the weight on top of my monopod. I looked at grip heads, too. One was a "joystick" and the other was a horizontal grip. The horizontal would be perfect for a tripod allowing you to fine tune your framing with ease.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.