Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Can someone please recommend a reasonably priced tripod for an amateur photographer. I am going to Costa Rica in a couple months and wanted to make sure I get pictures without shake. I own a Canon XSi. Thanks.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I haven't researched it enough but I would like it to be $60 bucks or less unless that would only buy me a piece of junk.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$60 will buy you a tripod suitable for a quick trip but it'll be mostly junk, it won't last you and you'll be hunting for another in no time at all.

A good tripod is a good investment for any photog. Like bags, you'll probably go through a few cheap ones before you finally realize that you need to bite the bullet and invest.

Since you're taking it on a trip I presume you'd want something light. $60 won't cut it so now you want to spend $60 on sturdy but be prepared to carry something fairly heavy.

I recommend manfrotto myself.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I have a LowePro Flipside 200 as a carrying backpack, will a tripod such as the one you recommended work collapse in order to be carried?

When you say support a camera such as the XSi do you mean that a cheaper tripod would shake because of wind and their lighter weight?

I plan on checking them out at a local store first but wanted some guidance on what to look.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I have a LowePro Flipside 200 as a carrying backpack, will a tripod such as the one you recommended work collapse in order to be carried?

Yes, that one should fit on your bag.

When you say support a camera such as the XSi do you mean that a cheaper tripod would shake because of wind and their lighter weight?

Yes, cheaper tripods are flimsy to start, and when you add the weight of a DSLR and lens ...

I plan on checking them out at a local store first but wanted some guidance on what to look.

Good idea. Take your camera and bag. Attach it to the bag, attach the camera to the tripod and see how sturdy it really is ...

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I'm on the same page, here are some of the tripods I've been considering:

Hakuba Carbon Fiber HG-504MX (~$300): Seems to be the ideal tripod, but too expensive for me at the time

Slik SPRINT PRO Travel Tripod with Ball Head: (~$100) Right now unavaible from amazon, seems very well reviewed. This this is probably the tripod I'll end up getting, at least at first (keeping the Hakuba in mind for an upgrade in 1-2 years)

Giottos GB Series Pro Lava 4 Section Tripod Legs (~$130) The third tripod I am considering. Also seem to have great reviews, looks like an ideal travel tripod. I may have problems with the height, though (only ~48").

And, here is the obligatory link on why you should buy a decent tripod from the start: I can save you at least US$700: just buy the right stuff the first time.

biochemcompsci

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Slik Pro 580 DX

Not sure what you'll be shooting in Costa Rica but I recently purchased this tripod before a trip to Zion National Park. I used this tripod both in fast moving water about 14 inches deep and on top of the mountain peaks with considerable wind and all my pictures came out very sharp. This tripod took quite a beating during my trip, dropped into sand, hit against rocks/trees, immersed in cold river water and still works perfectly. Also, hiking the entire day while carrying this tripod is not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/580-DX-Tripod...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1243781329&sr=1-1

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

csau06

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Brisbane
Do read the link to Thom Hogan's advice on buying a tripod (link in jalagl's reply).

Then research the manufacturer's websites, as shops don't always have the full range for you to look at. The Manfrotto and Gitzo websites have great selection tools - I haven't looked at other manufacturer's websites.

Then buy the best you can afford, as you want it to last a long time. It may seem a lot upfront, but spread over even 5 years that a quality tripod will easily last for (if looked after) the $ are likely to be reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.