Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I have a 10mpixl point and shoot camera. I shoot outdoors mostly and some macro. I have a 'medium' size tripod that was used for 35mm, but may be overkill for this little point and shoot camera. perhaps I could put a small ball head on it. I've heard some negatives about the Gorilla type (sometimes joints break), but they seem popular. What about a small ball head for my regular size tripod

What tripod would you recommend for point and shoot cameras?

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I recently purchased the Slik Sprint Pro tripod. I got it from Adorama for about $90 and so far I'm liking it. It comes with a ball head attached, which is strong enough to support my Panasonic Lumix G1, so it should do more than fine with a point and shoot camera.

I was considering buying a Gorilla Pod, but I went with this instead for a few reasons. Although it's not as small, it's definitely easy to carry since it folds to only about 18" tall, but extends to about 6 feet tall in ideal conditions. I'm also enjoying the flexibility provided by the ball head. There's also a Mini version which doesn't have the same maximum height, but is significantly shorter/lighter when collapsed.

Apr 10, 2007
People really seem to love the Gorilapod, you can wrap it around a tree or a post or pretty much anything, you should check them out.

http://joby.com/products/gorillapod/2

Also don't go overboard with a tripod, there will be people suggesting that you need a $100+ tripod, anything that will hold your camera steady will be good, I use a cheapo $29 tripod that works great, I don't really see the advantage to buying a expensive tripod.

AnnaFugazi

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
I picked up a tripod by giotto's in Florence - I think it's this onehttp://www.giottos.com/RT.htm I love it - it's really light but also telescopes, which I found important. The gorillapod is nice, and I might get one still someday, but you're stuck finding something at the right height to attach it to in order to get what you want in frame.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
People really seem to love the Gorilapod, you can wrap it around a tree or a post or pretty much anything, you should check them out.

The Gorilapod is a freaky bit of kit, Got told off by a spotty jessops assistant for playing with one just this morning, nearly wrapped it round his neck :mad:
but as SUPERSTEVE9219 quoted these are popular for p&s camera's so i'll give it my vote for you ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.