Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
DC
Reading all these tripod threads got me thinking about how I need a tripod. I always seem to just rush my pictures and I don't get the results I want. So, what tripods/heads do you all recommend?

I'm an amateur. I don't sell my pics for money. I currently have a D40, kit zooms and the 35 1.8 AF-S lens. Ideally I'd love to upgrade to a D90 or 300 (or whatever the equivalent is when I've saved up enough to afford one). I also don't expect to spend $20 and have a good tripod.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Reading all what threads? There are dozens of threads on the very topic which you just asked? Try a search and you'll have a wealth of information.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Another nice one is Manfrotto 055X Pro B ($140-180)
Ball head: 488RCA (around $115.00)

Amazon offers very nice deals, maybe better than the prices I wrote above.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
yupp, i was gonna get the 7302 tripod..but then ended up getting the 190XB with the 496RC2 head on it..it came as a package from B&H.

it has good reviews and can hold up a lot, as well as get low from 3inch above the ground.

4lb's, which is not as bad. just ordered it last night soo i'm very excited to get my first tripod. didn't think it was that necessary to get one, but it really is for night shots.

from my newbie tip, don't cheap out on it.

i know everybody wants to save, but would you rather spend less on a tripod then spend more when that cheap tripod falls over with your lens and camera attached to it? ;):rolleyes:

but the 7302 does seem like a great tripod, i just wanted a little more peace of mind.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
If you have a really nice professional camera store in the area go over and take a look. It is really helpful to put your hands on them and lift them to get a feel for sturdiness and weight.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Need a tripod recommendation

After searching through the forms, I have decided to get a Manfrotto tripod for my Canon T1i. But there are so many models and combinations to choose from so I need your help please. These are some of the sets I found from B&H Photo:

- Manfrotto 190xb with 496rc2 $204.90
- Manfrotto 7302YB $129.90
- Manfrotto 190xb with 498rc2 $250.00

The guy that I talked to at B&H said that I should get the 496rc2 head. He said the 498 is overkilled for my camera. I also saw the 460mg for $105. The reason I am interested in the 498 and 460mg is because of the panorama feature. Can the 496 do the same? I mainly shoot landscapes, some macros and panorama. I don't want to spend anything more than $250, and something not too heavy. That's why I don't include the 055 since I don't want to carry the extra weight when I go hike or travel. I am 5'10". Any models should I consider? What would you recommend. Thank you.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Also, what's the difference between the xb and xpro series? Which one would be better for what I shoot? Thank you.

Typically 'Pro' in Manfrotto numbers means the center column can be inserted horizontally through the legs as well as the typical vertical orientation. It could be useful in some situations, but it does make the legs slightly larger and heavier to accomodate the horizontal column.

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/images/products/large/Manfrotto 190XPRO_804 280.jpg

Fwiw, I bought Aluminum Manfrotto legs (190CLB) and they stay at home most of the time. They are relatively heavy and damn cold on the hands. I find myself borrowing a carbon 055 whenever I want a tripod (much larger, seems to be slightly more stable and lighter).

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
I just bought the Gitzo Basalt 2830 for $475. It is a light and very sturdy tripod. It has the benefits of carbon fiber, but about half the price. Basalt is cheaper than carbon fibers.

It doesn't transfer vibrations like aluminum, and it doesn't get cold. It is lighter than aluminum as well. An absolute fantastic tripod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.