Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I ordered my FEISOL CT-3441S CF tripod yesterday, however I "forgot" to order leg spikes.
I can get 3 stainless steel ones for $9/each.

Simply, how often have people with spikes on their tripod legs really-really used them?
Will I miss them if not ordered?

Do you guys have them, and only attach for snow/ice outdoor shots?

My order not shipped yet, so I should be able to add these for same shipping charge.

3 of these will add over 1lb to my tripod.
- Highly durable construction - weighs 189 grams

- High hardness value suitable for ALL conditions - concrete, asphalt, sand, snow, and wilderness.
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-spike-stainless-steel-p-18.html
feisol_spike_stainless_steel_md.png

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Well, I use mine all the time outside. Inside on hard floors, I pull them in and only use the rubber (and maybe duct tape the legs to the floor to really make sure the tripod doesn't move).

Outside, I lower the spikes every time I set up a photo. I don't want my tripod to move at all while photographing. I also have a heavy tripod intended for large view cameras, even though I'm only using a 5D.

Now, you have to ask yourself what you plan to do. I tend to photograph a scene over and over, trying different actions in front of the camera and also light a scene different ways while doing so, then composite it all back in later so no camera movement is essential. If you're just wanting a solid stand for a single shot, maybe the legs aren't so important.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I find it hard to believe that weight...

Well''that's a good "point", no pun intended...
The aluminum ones are way lighter, 3 of these are about 1/2 lb.
I'm thinking these instead now.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-spike-aluminum-p-19.html
FEISOL Spike Aluminum
Specially designed for:
FEISOL's CM-1471 Monopod, All FEISOL Large Class Tripods (3 needed)
- Incredibly light - just 72 grams
- Suitable for wilderness terrain including sand, snow, and grassland
- Low hardness - not for use on concrete or asphalt surfaces
feisol_spike_aluminum_md.png

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I haven't used tripod spikes in years, but then my tripod/head/base is probably about 18lbs, so it's not moving unless it's vibration, and then I can hang a bag from the base.

Paul

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I have the Gitzo spikes on my tripod although I will admit I rarely use them. The primary reason being it's a bit difficult to pull the rubber "feet" off the spikes to expose the metal. The design of the Gitzo spikes is such that there is quite a bit of suction and friction holding the rubber feet on, and it can be quite a pull to get them off without lubrication. I think if it were easier to remove them I would use them more often because I have found circumstances when it would have been nice to plant some spikes into soft ground (beds of grass, etc).

I'm thinking of getting a different set whose design looks better than the Gitzo ones to replace my spikes, and maybe I will use those more. Unfortunately they are made from titanium and while very light, do not come cheap.

Ruahrc

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I don't even have spikes installed on my tripods anymore, as I find them completely pointless. Simply put, the tripod and camera by themselves don't move as they have enough weight - and if I really need to add a bit more I can hang my bag off the bottom of the centre column.

Plus they're fiddly and annoying to deal with. I've not missed them in the slightest.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I have a set of spikes for my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4. Personally I don't like carrying the tripod with the spikes out, and they can sometimes be a pain to retract once you get a good bit of dirt and mud in there (depending on the consistency of the dirt or mud). Or when wearing gloves when it's particularly cold.

I'll eventually add an additional tripod dedicated more for indoor use.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Thx everyone for feedback, I found out my tripod could not use the rubber/hideaway spikes, I just ordered a (3) pack of these short ones "just in case" as learning, only $12. I'll keep them in my bag...
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-short-spikes-pack-p-40.html
- Provides additional support for FEISOL Standard, Tournament, and Travel Class tripods
- Perfect for solid terrain conditions
- Reliable and durable quality you can trust
If I don't use them, or find I need/desire the long ones then I'll get those at later date. Yea, not titanium......that's still $$'s
feisol_spike_short.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.