Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Hey guys, as the title states, I'm looking to purchase a decent tripod. There are so many out there just wondering what everyone here uses. Please post suggestions with pictures or links if possible. Thanks!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
What's your budget? What is your intended use, and what bodies/lenses do you own and plan to use on it? How tall are you, and do you want an eye-height tripod or something shorter/taller? These are all critical factors in determining which one to select.

There's a saying about tripods. There is light, stable, and cheap- and you can pick any two of the three.

I use a Gitzo Series 2 mountaineer (2531) coupled to a Markins M10 ballhead. I have attached the RRS Lever clamp to the ballhead and use a matching L-bracket for my camera body. It's not cheap (the two attributes I chose were light and sturdy :)) however it's got the performance to back up the price. It is one of my favorite pieces of photo gear, both in what it has given me in terms of images, and the enjoyment I get from using it.

If weight is a big concern for you, going with a carbon fiber tripod is the best way. If it is not a huge concern then I would recommend buying a cheaper/heavier set of legs and getting a good ballhead.

There's a good article on buying tripods that you should read to give you some thinking points. The specific gear recommendations in it are a little dated as the models suggested have been replaced by updated versions, but the philosophy is still applicable and is the important part of the article. Think about where you want your tripod to end up, and if you can't afford to spring for that ultimate set right away, make some smart purchasing decisions now so that you minimize the money lost in incremental upgrades.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Hope that gets you started.

Ruahrc

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
There are already a bunch of threads on this topic. You can search them to see what was already posted.

It boils down to use. If you will mostly drive somewhere and use it near the car a heavy tripod is good. If you have to lug it around you'll want a carbon fiber tripod.

Everyone has their favorites. I'm not sure there is really a bad one among the major names. You just want to avoid the cheap aluminum tripods. These are not rigid and so you'll get the camera flopping around blurring your photos.

If possible, visit a really nice camera shop in your area so you can touch and hold and feel different tripods to get a real sense of the differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.