Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
do airlines allow passengers to bring tripods on the airplane as carry-on luggage?

Normally, I don't take a tripod with me when I'm traveling but I have a short trip coming up and I know I'm going to need my tripod. Everything else I'm taking will go on board as carry-on so of course I would far prefer to take the tripod as carry-on luggage as well.

Has anybody been forced to check a tripod?

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
If it fits in the overhead you can take it. Make sure its in some kind of bag. You may have a hard time carrying on just the bare tripod.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
do airlines allow passengers to bring tripods on the airplane as carry-on luggage?

Normally, I don't take a tripod with me when I'm traveling but I have a short trip coming up and I know I'm going to need my tripod. Everything else I'm taking will go on board as carry-on so of course I would far prefer to take the tripod as carry-on luggage as well.

Has anybody been forced to check a tripod?

Does it fit in the cary on bag? If not they might make you check it at the door while boarding. Actually if you are lucky that is the best way then it is there when when yo get off the plane. Kind of the same with kid's strollers or wheelchairs

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
Does it fit in the cary on bag? If not they might make you check it at the door while boarding. Actually if you are lucky that is the best way then it is there when when yo get off the plane. Kind of the same with kid's strollers or wheelchairs

it will fit in the carry-on bag. The thing I want to avoid of course is having the guy at the xray machine tell me I can't take it through and that I have to go back to the check-in counter and check it.....having to wait for it at the other end would add a delay I hope to avoid.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
You shouldn't have a problem getting it through security. However, if it is over the size for the carry-on regulations, please just check it. Nobody wants to get on to find a tripod running the entire length of the overhead bin. Especially not these days when they're chronically filled. But if it does fit in a properly sized bag, you shouldn't have a problem. I've done it many times before in various parts of the world.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I understand your skeptisism, as a tripod could easily be mistaken for a bat or baton or some kind of weapon; I mean, you can't even take finger nail clippers onto airplanes because of their potential weaponry uses.

If you read FAA regulations, all you'll find are "guidelines" for what is and is not allowed. In all of the regulations, it basically says that it's up to the individual baggage screener whether or not to allow a particular item; if you get some guy who's wife just asked him for a divorce and kid just got thrown in jail for slangin dope, he may not feel like "letting" you take your tripod, and you'll be screwed.

Good luck! :confused:

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Example: at one particularly small airport I regularly fly out of, I know all of the baggage screeners. Most of them let me carry all kinds of stuff onto the airplane and don't really care. But one time, someone went bat-sh*t insane because I forgot about a tiny bottle of eye drops that I forgot to put in a plastic bag and he just about lost it... had his hand on his mace bottle about to spray me while someone else hand-searched my backpack for guns, etc

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I typically carry my tripod on board and have never had a problem. That's been pretty much all domestic flights so I can't really say for certain about international.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.