Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbarnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Hi,

I'm having trouble converting my psd file to a jpeg in CS4. When I go to "save as" and click on format, jpeg is not even an option. Can anyone advise? Does it have to do with my colorbits and if so, how do I change it?

Thank you

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Hi,

I'm having trouble converting my psd file to a jpeg in CS4. When I go to "save as" and click on format, jpeg is not even an option. Can anyone advise? Does it have to do with my colorbits and if so, how do I change it?

Thank you

If you have multiple layers you'll need to flatten them first

Bbarnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Thank you both.

I just tried to flatten the layers and Jpeg still wasn't an option in the "save as."

I tried to save for the web and it said file size was too large if I wanted to continue I would have issues.

Any other ideas?

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Thank you both.

I just tried to flatten the layers and Jpeg still wasn't an option in the "save as."

I tried to save for the web and it said file size was too large if I wanted to continue I would have issues.

Any other ideas?

You flattened all so there is only one layer, strange

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Yes. There was just one layer. I'm at a bit of a loss for what to try. Thanks for your help.

If you want to send it to me I could try or maybe try a different file type like TIFF then convert that

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
i had this problem (well it was an option just got a fail when i clicked save) as a short term fix i used gimp (i allready had it installed) to open the .psd and convert to jpg but you may come across compatability iisues on some features of photoshop. in the end i just reinstalled photshop and it was fine from thier onwards

its wierd i thought i had done something wrong and was a isolated case - it seems not

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
if you need a jpg version urgently you're welcome to send it to me and i'll convert it for you

jgrowl

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Hi,

Thank you

You need to convert the image to 8 bits/channel to save as a JPEG. This is found in the Image -> Mode menu. You do not need to flatten the image.

Bbarnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
You need to convert the image to 8 bits/channel to save as a JPEG. This is found in the Image -> Mode menu. You do not need to flatten the image.

Thank you ALL!! I appreciate the offer to convert for me but it seems this last tip to convert to 8 bits/channel worked!! I don't know why but I'm grateful for the help!

;)

jgrowl

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Thank you ALL!! I appreciate the offer to convert for me but it seems this last tip to convert to 8 bits/channel worked!! I don't know why but I'm grateful for the help!

;)

No problem.

A JPEG can only store 8 bits per channel thus it only shows up in the save-as dialog when the image is 8 bits. Thus if the image is 16 or 32 bits per channel, it needs to be converted.

CS5 now shows the JPEG as an option when the image is 16 or 32 bit per channel. It simply does the conversion to 8 bits automatically for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.