Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoFortyFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
i recently purchased a nikon d300, and have been trying to shoot in RAW. unfortunately, my iphoto simply cannot read the files. my computer runs OS 10.5.2, and iPhoto 6.0.6.

does anyone know how to make it so my computer can read the photos? do I need aperture, or the newer iphoto? or is there just some setting i'm missing?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think that you will need to update to iPhoto '08, too....

This is what I think as well. Even when the 10.5.2 update came, any shooter using Aperture 1.5.2 couldn't view D300/D3/Mark III RAW images unless they updated to Aperture 2.0 as well as Mac OS 10.5.2.... a real stab in the heart of the die hard Apple user.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yup. I had my D300 in hand right before Thanksgiving and my D3 in hand just at the end of November....and waited and waited and waited for the ability to convert my NEF files. Leopard came and I promptly installed it in all of my machines except the Mac Pro (the one that is my "digital darkroom") because I learned of conflicts with Aperture. Disappointing.... Waited and waited and waited some more.... FINALLY went ahead and installed Leopard on that machine and also joyously installed Aperture 2.0......but there was SUCH a long wait! It is unfortunate that yes, it is necessary to update one's software in order to be able to work with images from the newer cameras. I don't use iPhoto so am not sure but I think that one can update to Leopard and iPhoto will be able to handle NEFs or RAW images from the newer cameras; definitely when also upgrading to the current Aperture 2.0 one is all set. Not everyone wants to use Aperture, of course, so I think that Apple has it set up so that one can use iPhoto now for conversion of RAW/NEF images.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i recently purchased a nikon d300, and have been trying to shoot in RAW. unfortunately, my iphoto

The bottom line is that iPhoto 6 was written long before Nikon released the D300 Apple could not have known what a D300 NEF file would look like. You will need to get a version of iPhoto (or Aperture) that was writen after Nikon
releaed the D300.

Yes raw conversion is done inside Mac OS X, not iPhoto but with 10.5 they changed the way Mac OS X handles the conversion so you need a verion of iPhoto that understands 10.5 method of doing raw.

So like I said you need oftware that is newer than the camera.

.....but there was SUCH a long wait!

The good news is that one of the reasons for the long wait was that Apple re-designed the way raw conversion is handled inside Mac OS X so that in the future Apple can respond to new cameras faster. We will have to wait for the D400 to see if Apple really does respod faster.

TwoFortyFour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
i have recently found Gimp to be a useful substitute while i wait to purchase aperture 2.0. not for cataloguing itself but i'm happy enough that it can read and edit my .NEF photos.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
i have recently found Gimp to be a useful substitute while i wait to purchase aperture 2.0. not for cataloguing itself but i'm happy enough that it can read and edit my .NEF photos.

You have a 14-bit camera and an 8-bit program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.