Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Is there any way to get Apple to enable the True Tone feature on iPhone 7, which should be totally fine supporting it? If I just “request a feature” from Apple, it might get lost in the sea of requests they get. Can we make a group request if enough people are interested?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there any way to get Apple to enable the True Tone feature on iPhone 7, which should be totally fine supporting it? If I just “request a feature” from Apple, it might get lost in the sea of requests they get. Can we make a group request if enough people are interested?

According to this article, Tru-Tone can be implemented via software. It uses the sensors on the iPhone to correct the white point on the display based off the lighting in the room. However, based on the iPhone 8 having true tone and the iPhone 7 does not, leads me to believe that Apple would not include this on the iPhone 7, as they want this is a separating feature for the newer iPhones to have and more of a reason for those to upgrade.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-a-true-tone-display-and-night-shift-2945051

Reactions: exexs

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
However, based on the iPhone 8 having true tone and the iPhone 7 does not, leads me to believe that Apple would not include this on the iPhone 7, as they want this is a separating feature for the newer iPhones to have and more of a reason for those to upgrade.

Exactly my point, there is absolutely no technical reason for iPhone 7 not to support it, so the limitation is artificial. Considering it is meant to make it easier on our eyes, I believe it would be useful to have on all the devices supporting the technology. The question remains - how could we get this message to Apple?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
I doubt it.

The IPP 9.7" was first device with this feature and came out under 6 months after the IPP 12.9". The 12.9" never got it.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
Exactly my point, there is absolutely no technical reason for iPhone 7 not to support it, so the limitation is artificial. Considering it is meant to make it easier on our eyes, I believe it would be useful to have on all the devices supporting the technology. The question remains - how could we get this message to Apple?

Apple doesn't care about you or your eyes, why is this hard to understand?

Reactions: sdwaltz

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apple doesn't care about you or your eyes, why is this hard to understand?

Because that is what they were claiming while introducing the Night Shift, Health, etc. Apple Watch is filled up with all sorts of sensors up to its ears just to make our lives healthier, apparently. ;)

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Also, this may need different hardware:

a True Tone display, which uses new four-channel sensors to dynamically adjust the white balance of the display to match the light around you for a more natural and accurate, paper-white viewing experience

So do we know that the IP7 sensors are 4 channel?

EDIT: Just read the article linked below and it doesn't give any credible reasons why this could be implemented in software. I think you should just assume it can't be done. If you want true tone then you need an 8 or X.

Reactions: sdwaltz and joelvc

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
Because that is what they were claiming while introducing the Night Shift, Health, etc. Apple Watch is filled up with all sorts of sensors up to its ears just to make our lives healthier, apparently. ;)

that's them justifying a $300-$400 1-inch iphone. it's their key feature of the watch. it's not a charity to give everyone a healthy life.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Personally, I don't believe Apple Will ever implement Tru-Tone into the iPhone 7. At this point, I don't see a reason why they would implement such a major feature into an older model iPhone, when the newer model supersedes it already has it. I think Apple would want Tru-Tone to remain a reason for those to upgrade away from the iPhone 7. But if you really want to contact them, you could email Tim Cook or write to Apple directly.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
They won't do it for the same reason they didn't give the 6S all the taptic feedback features as the 7. They want their newest phone to do things the previous phones can't even if the previous version is more than capable to handle it.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
AFAIK the iPhones before the 8 had a monochrome brightness sensor (i.e. it cannot detect the color of the ambient light), which means it cannot be used to implement the True Tone feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.