Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2020
Hi all, looking for some assistance.

I've installed a Prometheus monitoring server on a Mac mini (OS Catalina) and now trying to configure one of its components using instructions that are designed for Linux. I've reached the last stage of the instructions that detail how to create and configure a service (in Linux) however I can't seem to find a way to do it in MacOS. I'm using these instructions: https://devconnected.com/how-to-install-and-configure-blackbox-exporter-for-prometheus/#b_Create_a_service_file_for_the_Blackbox_exporter

and I'm at the point
'Now that everything is set, it is time for you to create your service file. To create the Blackbox exporter service, head over to the /lib/systemd/system folder and create a service named blackbox.service'

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The instructions are for systemd, which is not available on macOS. Instead, macOS comes with launchd so you need to look into LaunchAgents.

Reactions: ilanb

ilanb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2020
The instructions are for systemd, which is not available on macOS. Instead, macOS comes with launchd so you need to look into LaunchAgents.

Thanks, I received this answer yesterday from the Apple Discussions form that led me to the solution I was seeking, which essentially is the same as your answer. Posting it here for the benefit of others:

'I think that the Mac example in this page: https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager3/installation/run-as-a-service
may help you understand how to create a service*** in macOS.
*** I use the word "service" here in the sense that has been used in this thread. Not to be confused with "Service" as it is most often used in macOS: that of an Automator Service, which is a completely different thing.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.