Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I ran across a photoshop tutorial that walked through taking an ordinary picture and a cloudy picture of the sky, and then 'painting over' your photo with clouds to make your original photo essentially a 'cloud shape'.

The example in the tutorial was of a greek statue holding a trident, and I am desperately trying to locate it, but Google just isn't helping.

It was posted, somewhere, recently (in the last week or so) and I'm hoping someone else saw and bookmarked it, or something.

Help! ?

-Allen

NSWMaps

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
I saw that in this past issue of MacLife… It was the paper magazine naturally, so I don't know how you would be able to get a hold of *that* one.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I saw that in this past issue of MacLife… It was the paper magazine naturally, so I don't know how you would be able to get a hold of *that* one.

A *ha*! I'm a moron.

That is exactly where I saw it, I assumed it was one of my RSS feeds and was frantically searching through google and google reader. What a waste of time. I'll now walk upstairs and grab the magazine. /facepalm

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Just wondered if you could explain how you mean cloud shaped, do you mean cropping the edges of the photo to make it a cloud shape?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Just wondered if you could explain how you mean cloud shaped, do you mean cropping the edges of the photo to make it a cloud shape?

This let you take a picture the sky, with some clouds in it, and then take a different picture, say a portrait or in the example a picture of a Greek statue. Then you basically copy and paste a transparent version of the portrait into the clouds, then copy and paste little bits of clouds over the portrait, and when you are done you have your 'portrait' made out of clouds, looking like a cloud formation, or something. I'll scan their picture (I haven't gotten to do mine yet) and post it

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks that would be good to see an image, I think I understand what your describing now

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Use Google and look for tutorials on using mask in layers in Photoshop.

You want the blue sky, and then in the middle, instead of the groups of clouds, you want to see the portrait?

If my understanding is correct:
- put a layer with your portrait picture
- on top, put your layer with the sky and clouds
- create a quick mask for this second layer, in which the clouds have to be black and the sky white

UPDATE:
http://www.artbistro.com/training/articles/1946-6-steps-to-using-masks-in-photoshop
http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/tutorials/quickmask.html
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/masking-and-montage/photoshop-masks.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.